Engine Timing chain cover (Mech fuel pump but no cover?)

fox racer v2

Jun 2, 2019
Brooklyn
Fried my starter (starter relay sticking burned it up) and replaced the cable/relay/starter while upgrading to a PA Performance unit. In doing so, I noticed my timing chain cover has a provision for a mechanical fuel pump - but the provision has no cover plate.

After a brief freak-out, I stuck my finger in the hole and noticed it was blocked off as if it were cast without a hole. It's also bone dry, I assume if there was a large hole in the cover I'd have a little oil leaking and have a some idle/drive-ability issues.

Has anyone seen this? I admittedly didn't investigate much as I was wrapping up the wrenching for the day, but can get pictures next weekend when I'm back working on it. Just curious what exactly I have. If it's some cheap aftermarket cover I'll grab an OEM one and swap them out when I have the front of the motor apart.

• Sponsors (?)

Pic attached
1123191323.jpg

My '88 bought new by me has the normal one....not the fake mechanical one. One of my extra engines has never been apart. It's a '90 model. Same cover as my '88. The rest of the stack all are the same. Doesn't matter really. I'd just figure after the hundreds if these cars I've worked on I'd at least have seen one.

The pictures posted by JMGlasgow even looks like it had the battery ground in the same spot (left bolt in picture, bolt the is closes to radiator when in car). This is judging by the teeth marks from the external tooth washer that was also on mine (order of timing cover -> external tooth lock washer -> starter cable bracket -> stock negative terminal ground -> bolt).