Timing?I'm lost help please

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm...that doesn't solve your problem. As a matter of fact, you are adding much more work. But hey, it's yours. I hope you know that the advice you get here is from a big group of very experienced Mustang folks. One friend leading you in a potentially bad direction doesn't compare to the guys on here that have lived this stuff for 30 years....each. Again, just giving you something to think about. Good luck either way. :)

Yea i get that, I have much more experience with Carbs than i do with all this electronic stuff. For me it would be easier and a lot of the wiring in the car is botched and looks pretty bad, honestly looks like some one had some kinda of aftermarket ignition security system so the wiring is all tore up. It may not be the best approach but for me i can work on it easier and understand it better.

I am rarely rude here, and it's my job to keep the peace. That said, if you can't do a simple task as setting the timing on a efi system I hope your friend can do most of the work for you on your carb swap. It can be far more involved than fixing the problems you have with the car now.
we also have a few experienced members that know alot about swapping these things to a carb system and when you get stuck or need advice you are welcome to come here and ask for help. Maybe start a thread on how you and your friend get this done.
we don't want your car to become a flaming (literally it can happen) pile of poo.

I appreciate it man. Yea i may start a build thread. Im telling you man this thing was ragged buy probably some kid the interior panels where painted white and it was a mess and as much as i have told the wife we may just want to cut our losses and sell and find a new project she states and i Quote "We will tear this thing down to frame and rebuild it before she does that" so here i am I have worked on a few things here and there dont a few mechanical jobs but i am No pro mechanic. So basically this is going to be a trial and error think for me and it will take years to get it where we want it but it will happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Vacuum looks low. Sounds funny to me.
here is where I would start, pull #1 plug, hell pull them all, it will make turning the engine over by hand easier, bump it around till you feel compression in the #1 cylinder, stick a screw driver in the plug hole and turn the engine by hand till the piston is a tdc, feeling the piston moving. you may have to turn it back and forth a little to get it there, look at the timing marks, it should be at 0, tdc, this will tell you if your balancer is off.

Use a wooden dowel... not a screwdriver.. lol.. dang...

Reactions: 1 user