Timing Question

undercover50

Nov 3, 2003
Can I advance my timing without a timing light? Which way do i turn dis. to advance timing. A guy told me that my timing was at 14 degrees but i put in 87 by mistake and I had no pinging. I have an e303 cam and trickflow intake does this sound right.

Thanxs

• Sponsors (?)

ashford said:
remember to take out the little shunt to let the computer go into timeing mode, its near the dist. it a little black clip that connects two wires togeter.

Its called a spout. :nice:

Shunt circuit- a closed circuit in which the current divides into two or more paths before recombining to complete the circuit.

I think Electronics school is the only other place I've heard the word shunt, but it still makes me giggle for some reason.

You could advance the timming without a light, just turn it like 1/5th of an inch, tighten the distributer back down, go for a ride, if it pings, put in higher octane or move the distb back a tiny bit.

Only difference is you wont know what exact timming your at, but that doesnt matter.

5.0CRAZY said:
You could advance the timming without a light, just turn it like 1/5th of an inch, tighten the distributer back down, go for a ride, if it pings, put in higher octane or move the distb back a tiny bit.

Only difference is you wont know what exact timming your at, but that doesnt matter.

Dude, athough this may work... Sometimes you can't hear detonation. You didn't even mention pulling the spout connector. Do you know about the spout connector? Not to mention the fact that using high base timing even if it's not detonating isn't always the best timing for your vehicle. Example: My base timing was at 16*, no overheating and no detonation. I had the car dynoed. I then RETARDED the timing to 14* and gained horsepower and torque. This is just like guessing fuel pressure. Even if you know exactly how to read plugs, it's best to get it dynoed to see the air fuel ratio. It may be rich or lean in a certain RPM range.

Stop giving this guy opinions and give him facts. Buy or borrow a timing light and set your timing correctly! Also, know what you're timing is and what makes the most power for your car because every car is different. The timing marks on the factory harmonic balancer are known for being inaccurate.