Tiny speckles in chrome

• Sponsors (?)

Prince95GT said:
looks like dust in the chrome or something
Try a really fine piece of steel wool, and some hot soapy water. Be very careful though when using the steel wool. You could mess something up very easily if it is too coarse of a "grit". Try using it in an inconspicuous spot first just to make sure it's not going to scratch the chrome finish.

Joe

Not trying to scare you but mine were like that. I put them in my shed for a while cuz I ran out of tire. When I took them out to sell them, the chrome was poppin off all over the place. I think that the moisture got in through those pits and started peeling the chrome off. I dont know that there is anything that you can do other than wait and see. If it gets real bad like mine did, you could either sell them dirt cheap like I did or get them sandblasted and powdercoated or something. Hopefully its something simple.

jmuva44 said:
Not trying to scare you but mine were like that. I put them in my shed for a while cuz I ran out of tire. When I took them out to sell them, the chrome was poppin off all over the place. I think that the moisture got in through those pits and started peeling the chrome off. I dont know that there is anything that you can do other than wait and see. If it gets real bad like mine did, you could either sell them dirt cheap like I did or get them sandblasted and powdercoated or something. Hopefully its something simple.

that scared me

94GTLaserRC said:
How old are they?
Im guessing theyre the ones in your sig.
They are either sign of not smooth metal that was chromed over, or rust underneath the chrome. If they are those new ones, I dont think it is rust.

DONT USE STEEL WOOL ON CHROME!!

RC
i agree with RC...dont use the steel wool....it will never look good again if you mess up....its not like polished aluminum, it cant just be polished again....

Anthony

I've used steel wool on chrome wheels plenty of times granted it was the finest you could get. I think the number denomination was like 00000, meaning it was really fine. Oh well. RC knows what he is talking about. If he says don't use it, then don't use it.

Joe

Joes95GT...fine steel wool is the first thing i use on chrome and it usually cleans it just fine...like stated, use Fine 00 or the like...It pulls rust off chrome easily with no damage...pits is another story.... :( usually somethings got on or under the finish...
I'd be talking to someone if they're fairly new.... :bang:

If you take the tires off of the wheels, maybe you could apply a nice thick coat of clear?? I dunno what you can do. Mine looked like little bumps when they were on my car. Didnt bother me TOO much. I went to sell them online for like $750 and then noticed the chrome looked like ass. I sold 4 18" chrome cobras for $250. He knew the condition though cuz he came to pick them up. Considering the condition, I was okay with that. I dont know that I would use steel wool only cuz it may just tear open the pits (if thats what they are). Get a closeup pic of them!!!

Joes95GT said:
I've used steel wool on chrome wheels plenty of times granted it was the finest you could get. I think the number denomination was like 00000, meaning it was really fine. Oh well. RC knows what he is talking about. If he says don't use it, then don't use it.

Joe

I said this, because you need to know what you are doing. If so, It IS ok to use, like you said, the finest grit.

If he had never used it, he may not have known there were different grits, and I didnt want him to ruin his wheels. That's why I threw out the general warning "DONT USE IT"

If you have used it Joe, and Rio has and you guys are comfortable, that's a different issue!

RC