Tips for removing the timing chain cover??

Str8Kr4zy

Jun 30, 2004
Oklahoma
Im having a ticking/slapping sound around 1500-2000 rpm, sometimes a little bit above 2000. I've been reading and many people seem to think its the timing chain and slack in it.

I removed the serpentine belt to eliminate the accessories, still making the ticking/knocking noise.

If there is slack the timing chain, how do I go about removing the slack? What parts will I more than likely replace or need to, or should while the cover is off? Is there anything I need to pay particular attention to?

Anyone have pictures of a 99-04 2v with the cover off?

Thanks

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Putting timing chain back is not too difficult but double triple quadruple check. There plenty of stories on this board of chain installed wrong. Also it is a pain to carefully clean all the gasket surfaces. Also check the manually to make sure you apply RTV gasket to all the right places ( in addition to the rubber gasket ).
In addition, my oil pan gasket didn't look like I could reuse it. Good think harbor freight ran a $99 deal on engine hoist, because to replace oil pan gasket you need to lift the engine a bit ( my transmission was off at that time)

If your timing chain is indeed loose, it is probably due to the tensioners on the picture below

Attachments

• full_sm.jpg
    full_sm.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 4,168
  • bottom_sm.jpg
    bottom_sm.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4,007
what year is the car? in 2001 Ford went to a plastic timing chain tensioners that are C R A P...pre 2001 used a Steel tensioner thats much better and I recommend the steel ones for ALL years, vs the plastic/nylon ones which have a high faliure rate..........

I had a similar problem with my driver's side timing chain. It had slack in it because the hydraulic tensioner wasn't seated on the block properly after my cam install.

My plastic chain guides looked fine at 90,000 miles, so I kept them. I'm curious what they look like now at 109,000 miles, and I'll be finding out on Friday.

How many miles does the car have on it? If you have over 100k I would look at replacing your guides, chains, and tensioners for good measure. And while you have the chains off...... its a good time to put cams in!!
:stupid: and your oil pan gasket should still be fine, just make sure you use good rtv sealant where you need it.

it seems sort of wierd to me that your tensioners would be bad with only 38,000 miles :shrug: mine were perfectly fine when I rebuilt it with 108,000. your motor hasn't been tinkered with at all??

What? This is QUALITY!

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

actually it looks like that bolt was probly over tightened.... its only plastic. (not saying you did it but someone did) even if it was you that put that on, it could've been damaged from someone else over tightening it there previously or something. :shrug:

actually it looks like that bolt was probly over tightened.... its only plastic. (not saying you did it but someone did) even if it was you that put that on, it could've been damaged from someone else over tightening it there previously or something. :shrug:

that's the stock engine pulled apart, no one had touched it but ford up until that point. Obviously it was pulled apart cuz it was having problems like that - PI heads were salvaged tho.
Plus, the part you see broken off came from the passenger side bottom tensioner, not the top where that bolt is. That part is fine, so the over tightening scenario is definitely not the case here