Interior and Upholstery Tips on how to remove gauge cluster from dash?

folky15

May 10, 2007
Chicago
1992 5.0 Vert: My gauge lens was getting faded so I figured I would also replace my dash bulbs while changing the lens.

Trouble is, I cannot get the gauge cluster to separate far enough from the dash. All screws are removed but it only moves half an inch or so when I pull it toward the steering wheel. Makes it impossible to remove the speedo or wiring harness since I cannot see or feel anything there behind the cluster.

I'm following the LMR instructions here: View: https://youtu.be/DKFx_j6CVb8?t=110 but cannot do what is shown at 1:54.

I don't want to pull too hard and possibly break something.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

assuming you have it loose, the only things connected are flexable, the wires and the speedo cable.....you have little choice but to pull on it enough that you can at least unplug something.....

You'll have to give the cluster the reach-around, and remove the lower portion of the dash and see if you can snake your hand up to the two wiring harnesses and the speedo cable and help them through. That's the only think that would be holding those in.

Before you do that, see if you can feed the speedo cable back through the firewall a bit and see if that gives you enough flex. If not, you'll have to see if the two harness ends (one on each end of the cluster) are hung up on something.

Reactions: 1 user
My gauge lens was getting faded so I figured I would also replace my dash bulbs while changing the lens.
It may not be faded, just needing a cleaning.

IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1490.JPG

Before and after cleaning and polishing the gauge cover on my 90GT. I just used a headlight polishing pad on a drill and some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (any brand name liquid rubbing compound should work). Go over the whole lens a couple times buffing clean between each until there is no streaks or issues.

As for the cluster. Try pushing the speedo cable back into the firewall a bit. The first clip to undo will be lower right of cluster along the bottom. This has been tight on every Fox I have ever pulled the cluster on. The second clip runs up and down along the left side of the cluster. Depending on your speedo cable, it may need to be released before the second clip.

Try to gently lift up (tilt up) on the cluster and slip your right hand under the lower side. Squeeze the outer edges in for the clips. It should release fairly easy. If not push clip into cluster a bit as you squeeze to help release. Same thing for the clip on the left side. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Kitt Scratch Out will put the final shine on clear plastic or taillights. It’s good for helmet face shields, so the gauge cluster lens should be easy to see through after using it.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
If you have not bought the new lens, polishing will make a HUGE difference. I use a DA sander with a 3" foam pad, with 3M machine polish. Work it hard enough to even get the micro scratches out.

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up pushing the speedo cable approx an inch further through the firewall opening. (Thanks @Mustang5L5 and @KRUISR !)

That gave me enough slack to get my hand behind the gauge cluster and unplug the speedo connector.

I did install the new LEDs and gauge cluster lens (wasn't too expensive) but I should have been more careful about fingerprints on the INSIDE of the lens. :confused:

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: 2 users