Tips on replacing door handles on a fox

Jawbone

Jan 17, 2010
B.C., Canada
Replace BOTH door handles because the replacements are not the same size as the originals. When you order your door handles, order 2 packs of door panel clips (most of my clips were thrashed and the other half were missing), got mine from Latemodel Restoration but I'm sure most vendors carry them. I didn't use the rivets to attach the door handles, did not realize that I needed a special rivet gun and there were none available for rent and I didn't feel like waiting another 2 weeks to get one sent out to me, plus one of the door handles was attached with bolts which had to have been there for at least 80,000 km (50,000 miles). I used 1/4" hex head bolts about 1 1/2" long with locking washers and nylock nuts. If you go this way, put a flat washer between the door handle and the head of the bolt, makes it way easier to tighten. Take the door handle to the hardware store so you can get the correct size washer, it should just fit. Check those washers closely, I noticed that they vary a lot in thickness. After installation, paint the bolt heads flat black. Before removing the door panel, place tape on the window at the front of the door panel and mark the front of the door panel on the tape, makes it way faster to line up for replacing.
Do one side completely before starting on the other in case you need to review how to hook things up.
First remove the door panel, arm rests have Phillips head screws at each end.
Pry out the arm rest plugs to access the 10 mm bolts behind them.
Swing armrest down and disconnect electricals, and remove armrest.
Remove Phillips screw from door handle trim.
Remove Phillips screw from speaker grill. Check to make sure there are no other screws holding the door panel in place.
Remove door panel clips by using the trim tool or using a flat head screw driver (cover the blade of the screw drive with duct tape to protect the paint) between the panel and the door.
Peel back the water barrier to get at the inside of the door handle.
Drill out the old rivets from the outside of the door, go slowly, the rivets are aluminum and will drill out easily. I started with a 1/8 inch bit, once the hole was started I used a 1/4 inch bit. If I remember correctly, the rivets are 1/4 inch dia.
Once drilled enough you'll be able to work the rivets out and remove the old door handle.
Hook up the new door handle to the actuator.
Rivet or bolt the new door handle in place. If riveting, make sure you apply enough pressure to keep the door handle tight to the door while pumping the rivet gun. I would apply a bunch of duct tape and some kind of thick cloth to the door below and around the handle, because the gun will recoil when the rivet shaft breaks and you want to protect that paint job.
My Mustang had two obviously different sized door handles when I bought it. It looks better to have the same door handles on both sides. Good Luck.

• Sponsors (?)

Take the time to 'square' the holes in the door handle with a small hand file, just large enough for the square shank of a carriage bolt to fit.
Then you get a smooth bolt head on the exterior of the car, which can't be removed from the outside of the vehicle.

I painted the carriage bolt heads black, and they're nearly invisible...
Hard part was spending all that time with a hand file LOL