Tire Pressure

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Vernon BC
Can someone tell me Ford's recommended tire pressure for the Cobra optional tire size of 255/45R17. All I can find is the statement "See tire pressure decal on interior of glove compartment door".

• Sponsors (?)

Can someone tell me Ford's recommended tire pressure for the Cobra optional tire size of 255/45R17. All I can find is the statement "See tire pressure decal on interior of glove compartment door".

Check the pressure recommended on the tire, that's the starting point.

In general, you'll run lower pressure for traction and higher pressure for mileage. On the street, you may want to run about 35-37 front and 30-34 rear. On the drag strip, most will go up to 37-40 front and 15-18 rear. On the track many use 35-39 front and 33-35 rear. Again, all this depends on wear patterns on the tires, the track, weather, and other things. This is on 35 psi MAX tires. With 44 psi MAX tires, you can likely add a couple psi to these numbers, but keep an eye on them for wear and adjust them as needed. The rears will usually wear in the center and the fronts will usually wear on the edges. If they are the same size rotate them about every 6-8K miles or whenever you see a difference in wear patterns.

Sidewall pressure is a max at the rated capacity. This particular tire has a 51 psi rating. What I want is the pressure recommended by Ford as it appears on the glove box decal for a Cobra in this size (255/45R17). I am currently running 35 psi cold on all four corners but was wondering whether or not Ford had a different pressure for front and rear.