Tire Shine overspray/splatter

Khyron

Oct 20, 2006
Lincoln, NE
Okay, so whenever I wash my '06 GT and shine it up, I like to finish with dressing the tires so they have that glossy/wet look. However, as soon as I drive it, the tire shine ends up splattering and spraying all over my fenders and quarters. I've tried a few different brands, but they all do it. Any advice to keep it from doing this? Thanks in advance.. ;)

• Sponsors (?)

You might want to post this in the detailing section, but what i would so would be wipe the excess shine off of the tires after you shine them, Keeps the gel from splattering on the fenders

I use Hot Shine too. Works perfect.

If you use one of the other application gels, don't use too much. Any excess that is glopped on the tire and doesn't dry will get flung off. If you use an applicator, be sure that it gets into the patterns and edges so it's not standing on top of the tire. And let it dry for a good 20 minutes or more.

Or, just switch to Hot Shine. :)

Okay, so whenever I wash my '06 GT and shine it up, I like to finish with dressing the tires so they have that glossy/wet look. However, as soon as I drive it, the tire shine ends up splattering and spraying all over my fenders and quarters. I've tried a few different brands, but they all do it. Any advice to keep it from doing this? Thanks in advance.. ;)
I also use Miguiars Hot Shine and it doesn't splatter as long as you let it sit for a while and wipe excess with a dry towel. I also wipe the rims since they always get some overspray and brake dust loves that sticky stuff.

tip one, wait a little longer to drive after application. tip two, use a rag to wipe the tire, after you apply the dressing. it may give a softer shine, but worth it IMO. i dont like bling from my tires, they should have a shine, but not glossy.

Same problem with many brands. Best thing to do is detail your tires the last thing in the afternoon and let them dry over night. Some of the stuff can be difficult to get off your paint.

This is all I've ever used on the Stangs tires since new back in late August. I have never used this before then. I use the applicator sponge that comes with it. I am able to drive away as soon as I put it on. It has never flung up on the car. It shines nicely for days. It even looks decent after several washes(not shiny, but still nice and clean looking).

prodshot_etsgel.jpg

This is right after being washed and dressed.
DSC02214.jpg

This is right after being washed once and not dressed.
driverside462.jpg

If you wipe off the excess film or solution there shouldn't be an issue with the dust when using an "Armour All" style liquid.

The thick gell or Silicone kind of dressing could possibly attract dust, but I haven't used those kinds in a few years.

At present I don't use anything on my tires because I've always just assumed that these products attract dust, and living at the beach that dust would actually be sand.
Do these products attract dust?

i use the Turtle Wax Tire Gel and it is the best i have used to date, it clings the best and it lasts the longest (it can still be seen after well over a week depending on climate and frequency of washing). But your assumption about dust and dirt is correct, primarily only the first time you are out with it. i avoid any dusty or dirty areas for day one then i am good and they shine well over a week and i wash once a week anyway so that is not an issue (i reapply weekly to keep them shining).

This may sound a bit trailer park but my buddy showed me a little trick that works pretty well. You take used or new motor oil (preferably new) and apply a thin skin of it, let it sit for a few hours, wipe, reapply once or twice in the same fashion, and it lasts for weeks, but it too is a magnet for grime and dust. Although at the same time his rubber looks new when cords are showing because the motor oil prevents the rubber from drying out.

I use Eagle One Wet Tire Shine, apply it with a blue shop towel to minimize the buildup of unneeded liquid, and let it dry for a long time, no splatter for me. :nice:

I never liked that shiny look since it always attracts dirt/grit.
What I do is clean the tires and treat them with 303 Aerospace protectant and wipe off the excess. It gives it a black look but also protects the rubber rather than dry it out.