Tire Shine

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Not sure if this is tech or talk, but...
So I was at SEARS a few weeks ago picking my car up from getting an alignment after I installed all my suspension stuff, and the technician noticed i had tire shine on my tires. And he said "do you shine these tires often with that stuff" and I said "usually once a week when I wash and/or wax the car." Then he told me that tire shine products use petroleum (sp) products in them which eats away at the walls of the tires. He said petroleum products are not good for rubber AT ALL.

So I use McQuire's Tire Shine (all black tall can). What kind of tire shine do you guys use? Does it have petroleum products in it? Was the SEARS tech correct?

I tried checking to see if my McQuires had petrol products in it but couldn't really tell. I might have read them on the back, but couldn't tell if they were petrol products or not...i'll have to read it again.

...discuss...

• Sponsors (?)

I use Eagle One Wet Tire Shine and sure enough it contains: Petroleum Distillates, Propylene Glycol Monopropyl Ether.

I hope that dude was just smoking crack that today because this stuff works great lol

Googling around...

If you ride in wet conditions, especially early season in the snow belt, clean your tires with water when you are finished to get rid of any petroleum based products or salts that could dry out or eat your tires.

this is taken from Eagle one's website..

"Q. I have heard that using tire dressings will harm my tires. Will your product cause my tires to crack?

A. WET Tire Shine will not cause any harm to your tires."

That's like asking a restaurant owner if the food is good. The answer is both predictable and self-serving.

I don't know if the Eagle-One product can damage tires, but I certainly would not accept their answer without seeing the test data to support it.

n0v8or said:
That's like asking a restaurant owner if the food is good. The answer is both predictable and self-serving.

I don't know if the Eagle-One product can damage tires, but I certainly would not accept their answer without seeing the test data to support it.

obviously. I was thinking the same thing.

Our tires don't last long enough for it to make a difference anyway :D

I've used some type of "tire shine" for at least the last 25 years and have never had tire problems (other than one ex-girlfriend). I've tried them all. I use Tire Wet now.

I wouldn't take the information on the Eagle One site as gospel, but I would put more emphasis on something a reputable company is will to put in writing than I would on an average Joe working at Sears. Especially the Sears I go to in Maryland. I'm not saying the Sears guy can't be right, but I would want to know where he got his information.

Yes, petroleum products break down rubbers and rubber composites, such as latex. Why do you think they recommend using water based lubricants when using jimmie caps? Because oil eats rubber.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't petroleum derivatives a main ingredient in the making of rubber?

stangGT97 said:
use Maguire's NXT insane shine, its the balls :nice:

I agree! I can actually see reflections in my tires when I use this stuff! Just make sure and wash the tire first and then dry them and wipe them with a dry towel for best results.....I always let mine sit to or tire shins will sling up onto your paint..

My budyd is an auto detailer and he says pros have bene known to use gojo on tires to make them shine..not tried it tho heh