Tire Size Recommendations for 16" x 8" Rims

89 Saleen#455

Founding Member
Dec 29, 1999
New England
I'm looking for some tire size recommendation for my 16" x 8" rims. I was thinking about 245-50-16" in the rear. Not sure what size for the front. The car is just a weekend cruiser, so I'm not looking for anything to wide. Maybe just something to fill the front wheel well without rubbing the front fenders. Car is lowered about 1.25" all the way around. Also has Lincoln/SVO disk brakes front and rear. Any recommendations on tire combinations for 16" x 8" rims?

• Sponsors (?)

The 245/50-16 is perfect for a 16X8 -- just about the same height as the stock 225/55-16, and the 245mm section width is a perfect match for the 8" wide wheel. I'd put the same size all around. While the rear has to deal with the engine's torque, the fronts have to turn a car that has around 57% of it's weight on the front end, and they have to provide about 80% of the stopping force the car can generate. Don't reduce the front size.....

Michael Yount said:
The 245/50-16 is perfect for a 16X8 -- just about the same height as the stock 225/55-16, and the 245 section is a perfect match for the 8" wheel. I'd put the same size all around. While the rear has to deal with the engine's torque, the fronts have to turn a car that has around 57% of it's weight on the front end, and they have to provide about 80% of the stopping force the car can generate. Don't reduce the front size.....

Thanks Michael. I was hoping you would chime in. I know your brother owns a tire shop, so I value your opinion. I thought about putting the 245's on the front, but I was concerned about fender rub with the 8" wide rims. I also thought the 245's might stick out too far from the front wheel wells. My stock Saleen rims are 16" x 7" with 225-50-16" and the tires are just about flush with the edge of the wheel well. I just didn't know whether the 16" x 8" with 245's on the front would push things out too far. Thanks for all your input. Rich.

Rich - the missing variable in your discussion is the offset/backspacing of the wheel you're putting on. If the 16X8" wheel is sized properly in terms of backspace, interference with the fender shouldn't be a problem. People run that size and larger without clearance issues - IF the wheel is sized properly (backspace). Besides, if the 16X8" wheel is sitting too far outboard, dropping down to a 225 section tire isn't gonna reduce the section width that much once you put it on the 8" rim. You might think it would sit 10mm (1/2 of the difference between 225 and 245) further away from the fender, but that won't be the case.

The potential issue is your wheel backspacing, not so much the section width of the tire. Get the right wheel to support the tire size you need. And you really could use a 245 section tire on the front.

Okay. That makes sense. Well, the stock Saleen Front 16 x 7 rims had 4-3/4" backspacing. The new 16 x 8" rims have 5-1/4 backspacing. I know the 5-1/4" backspacing is fine for the rear, but is it too much for the front? I'm told you need the extra backspace for the front, because of the rotors/hubs used for the Lincoln/SVO brakes.

I guess the easy thing to do is test fit my stock 16" x 8" Saleen wheel with 245-50-16 and 5 1/4" backspace on the front of the car and check for clearance.