tire suggestions and how many miles did you pirrelli's last?

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
I have 20k on my tires that came with the car in late 2005 on a gt that was not beat on. The dealer (now) is telling me what lousy tires they are...
I was going to look at cooper b/c that is what roush is using,
what all are the rest of you using for a daily driver with stock rims?
Thanks,
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

i've heard of poeple getting 30k+ miles out of them....I had bfg kdw originally and replaced them with alittle over 40k miles only because of a bad alignment after lowering the car and the insides wore out before everything else. I now have nitto 555's with about 10k on them so far.

My car originally came with the 17" Pirelli's and they were great, I traded them for 18" wheels and that person got 40K on them. The BFG's KDWS's are GARBAGE!!!! Cooper makes excellent tires, if you're looking for them Zeon spt are ok not their best. Roush use Zeon CS3 but those are made specifically for that set up on the 427, they may not work that great on a stock GT. The PZero Nero PINNA that comes original is a great choice especially if you're looking for price as a factor, maybe you should do better maintenance. Rotation every 6K check your alignment ever 12K.

Tire longevity is based on your driving habits and tire pressure. Be sure to check your tire pressure at least once a month (set them to 32PSI when cold). Avoid burnouts or taking corners very hard (without braking) a lot...(oh, and ensure they stay aligned by avoiding potholes, etc.)...and your tires will last a good while.
I have 18K on mine and they measure 8/32nd all around (9/32nd when new)...

Tire longevity is based on your driving habits and tire pressure. Be sure to check your tire pressure at least once a month (set them to 32PSI when cold). Avoid burnouts or taking corners very hard (without braking) a lot...(oh, and ensure they stay aligned by avoiding potholes, etc.)...and your tires will last a good while.

Your comments are dead on. :nice:
If you drive your Mustang as a form of transportation used to get from point A to B.. maintain them as described above you can make tire tread last well into the dry, weather cracked ages need to replace stages. My Mother used to do that on her Celica Supra, turboed and all. They were still old, long before tread depth was worn out. :rlaugh:

Personally, I drive much harder, so even though I check pressures weekly, change based on driving conditions and weather. Ensure a good four wheel alignment, tires dynamically balanced…. I still go through front and rear rubber faster than a sedate driver. That’s not wrong on either’s driver’s part, just how we use our vehicle. Point is, fast tire wear is not always indicative of poor maintenance or driving habits, many times, it’s just the price you pay to play.

I got 38,000 kilometers out of my stock Pirelli's. I am not really impressed with them about that either. The tires got rotated every 5000 kms and I have had 2 wheel alignment checks done on the car. The tires had 7/32's of rubber when I put them back on this spring. They currently have 1/32's on them now. I don't know what caused them to wear out very quickly this spring/summer but they did. I don't abuse the car on the street and I use dedicated track tires when it goes there. It won't be Pirelli's going back on this car.

+1
Driving habits and tire pressure(plus alignment/balancing as mentioned by bronco78) are huge factors that affect tire life.
My stock Pirelli's have 25.5K miles, and should last another few thousand miles. They were frequently pressure checked, balanced, rotated, and aligned, but unfortunately I'm not a very conservative driver. I have no problem with how they wore(40K+ miles could have been attained if I drove less aggressively), performed, and handled, and will definitely get another set when considering the bang-for-the-buck factor and the snowy roads in the Northeast.
Also, new stock Pirelli's have 11/32" of tread depth.

I got 38,000 kilometers out of my stock Pirelli's. I am not really impressed with them about that either. The tires got rotated every 5000 kms and I have had 2 wheel alignment checks done on the car. The tires had 7/32's of rubber when I put them back on this spring. They currently have 1/32's on them now. I don't know what caused them to wear out very quickly this spring/summer but they did. I don't abuse the car on the street and I use dedicated track tires when it goes there. It won't be Pirelli's going back on this car.
If you're measuring 1/32" to the bottom of the tread(not to the wear bars), then recommend that you do not drive at higher speeds on wet roads.

Toyo proxes! Have had two sets since the car was bought. I put 20/9 - 255/35 and 20/10 295/30 initially when the car had like 1300 miles. I am at the end of my second set and the car has 66500. Kept proper maitenence though rebalance every 6k and closely monitored the air pressure.

If you're measuring 1/32" to the bottom of the tread(not to the wear bars), then recommend that you do not drive at higher speeds on wet roads.

No worries, the car is currently parked. I am driving my other car currently. When I start driving the GT again, it will have it's Winter shoes on it.

When I buy tires for the GT, it will be General Exlaim UHP. My Corvette buddies are loving that tire and it comes in the 235/55R17 size.