Tires and Rims for 02 Stang.

Nates02V6

Feb 22, 2004
hello everyone.

this is my first thread here. i just got my stang a month ago. its my first REAL car lol, and im 22 yrs old. pretty crazy eh. i did 4 years in the army and didnt need a car. i was always in the damn woods lol.

anyways, i already got a nice set of Bassani SS cat backs for it, and now im looking for a tire/rim combo that will look killer. i can pick what style i want , and i have a good idea of what tires i want, but rims are what is gettin me thinking.

so heres the tires i want to get. the BF Goodrich Gforce T/A KDWS tires. they are a good mix of performance/tough tread/all season tires that i need for ohio driving all season. now as far as size, i was planning on getting them in 245/45/17. for that sized tire, should i get a 17x8" rim? im thinking that would make a nice wide appearance on the rear of my car, as they state on the BFG site that they are 9.5" wide on an 8" rim <i think?>

as for front rims, should i go with the same size on all 4 corners? would it have any effect or handling and such if i did go same size on all 4?

would the handling be better with a narrower diameter tire on the front?

any suggestions and experience would be greatly appretiated guys!

also, does anyone know a good place to get a nice set of rims for around 100$ each? id like to get a nice silver or chrome set, in a mag style appearance.
the stock rims are just fugly to me.

thanks in advance!

Nate

• Sponsors (?)

I got my tires for $125 each (see sig) w/ free shipping from tires.com. They also sell wheels, but you can get Bullitts (Charcoal, Silver, or Black) for $125ish each from many different places, just check a MM&FF or something. Also, gefracing.com usually has good prices on wheels.

hey thanks for the replies fellas, im checking these links out now. anyone else have any ideas?

also, i was wondering as well, about the CPU in the car.

pretty much, when it has to be reset etc.
like say i do a standard tune up, cap, button, plugs, oilchange fuel filter etc etc, will the CPU need reset?

or say i put the steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter in there, which i plan on doing in a week or so, will the CPU need reset for that 1?

pretty much im a bit lost on when to reset the cars chip so it can "relearn" the new config for the vehicle.

mods i plan for this car in the next 2 months are a CAI, the cat backs, the steeda tri-ax shifter, throttle body replacement with a BBK 70mm model, and pullies.

i am guessing the CPU will most likely need reset after the tri-ax and the pullies go on. any input would be appretiated.

thanks!

Nate

Nates02V6 said:
hey thanks for the replies fellas, im checking these links out now. anyone else have any ideas?

also, i was wondering as well, about the CPU in the car.

pretty much, when it has to be reset etc.
like say i do a standard tune up, cap, button, plugs, oilchange fuel filter etc etc, will the CPU need reset?

or say i put the steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter in there, which i plan on doing in a week or so, will the CPU need reset for that 1?

pretty much im a bit lost on when to reset the cars chip so it can "relearn" the new config for the vehicle.

mods i plan for this car in the next 2 months are a CAI, the cat backs, the steeda tri-ax shifter, throttle body replacement with a BBK 70mm model, and pullies.

i am guessing the CPU will most likely need reset after the tri-ax and the pullies go on. any input would be appretiated.

thanks!

Nate

Nate:

The only resetting of the computer that you have to do is to remove the battery connection while doing the repairs. Reconnect when complete, the car will re-learn all of it's settings in a couple of days.

Doc :flag:

A few months back I purchased a set of GT wheels and some new tires. I put kuhmo 711s on the front (size 255/45-17) and BFG G-Force KDWS on the back (also the same size) Afterwards I got an alignment. To this day my car still rides like 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'! The car pulls left and right, on the highway it wanders all over the place and is very unstable. I went back to the shop and made sure they rebalanced all of the tires and did the alignment over again. Even after this the problem still has persisted. I have complained about this problem on several message boards and the consensus is that I am just experiencing tramlining and that it is normal. That is just BS. If I would have known that after spending close to $1000 on new rims and tires that my car would handle worse and become more dangerous I WOULD HAVE NEVER bought new wheels/tires in the first place. I know there are hundreds of people out there who have aftermarket wheels on their cars and I just want to know if anyone has experienced the same problem.

1quick6:

After installing my tires and rims the only thing I noticed was that if I drive on the roads or freeways that have high traffic "ruts", for lack of a better word, in the road the car will pull. That is because the wider tire is following the path of least resistance and centering itself in that rut. I don't understand what you mean by kiss me, kiss me, kiss me.

Nates02V6: Just be aware of the above tendency due to the larger footprint the tire has on the ground. Drive with two hands instead of one hand and you should be alright.

You can put an 8 or a 9 inch wide rim on the mustang but you might run into some problems with the wider tire. I know that from v6 to the roush or saleen they will all accomodate a 9inch. You might run into some restrictions in the wheel well if you go any larger than that.

"kiss me, kiss me, kiss me" is what they system puts in if you swear or put 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' or b@$tard, or words of the like... The same as when some sites put in ******* this puts in the 'kiss me kiss me kiss me'
Gagan

doc4444 said:
1quick6:
I don't understand what you mean by kiss me, kiss me, kiss me.

Alternator said:
By the way, how wide are the wheels on the 99's?

'99 V6 wheels should be the fugly split tri-spokes like mine has. Those are 15x7.

The 5 spoke V6 rim that was a later option and standard after '03 is 16x7.5.

I need to find a set of the 16x7.5's. My little sister has a Premium Package 2001, and I've been trying to talk her into trading, but she's not stupid. :D I just can't see the point in dishing out the cash for 17x8 tires, only to get a loss in gas mileage. My $$$ is better spent on the other things(particularly the '66).

hey guys.

i decided to get 17x8 black bulitts with a set of 245/45/17 BFG KDW's

heres pics. they ride awsome and look great on my red stang. i just need to do mah drop and ill be all set in the rolling department. i plan on gettin H&R SS springs and goin down 2" in the front and 1.75" in the back. gonna get CC plates and some good shocks when i do the drop as well.

also the gay ass decals you see on the car have been removed. they were so fugly. i hated them. :bang: next thing to do is install my Bassani cat backs and pro 50 shifter. then contenue to save for my drop project.

thanks guys!

heres the pics

MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

I just bought 17x9 chrome cobra R's for my car yesterday with khumo supra 712 and the tires stick like no other. But thats prob because im used to crapy tires. I got 255/40-17 and its a nice width if you dont want to spend that much. Ive never had so many people tell me my car is that nice before....it was definitly worth the money. I wish i would have gotten wider tires in the back tho but i wouldnt have been able to rotate them. But if you have the money you should definitly get rims and tires. I got mine out the door for 1394.00 :p

www.gefracing.com for some rim choices, under performance then the wheel deal. for tires go to www.tirerack.com I just ordered my 3rd set of tires from them very nice place to go though, call the number and dial 207 extention he can help you out with tire and rim choices, with a 245 wide tire you will want to go NO wider than a 8 wide rim, i currently have 17 by 9 with 255s (i got them like that) and its NO WHERE NEAR wide enough for the rims. any oem ford rim will be very cheap and look really really good.