Tires and Springs - Need Suggestions

Alacrity

Aug 22, 2004
Oakton, VA
Now that my birthday and Christmas are both coming up I'm planning on getting a few things. :D I want to order the Chrome Saleen rims (18x10 for the back and 18x9 for the front, found here: http://www.mustangtuning.com/supersales.html) but am unsure what tires to put on. I think the recommended size is 275 in the back, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to fit on 295. I also want a tire that performs pretty well but one that won't wear out on me too fast.

I also need a drop desperately, as I'm sure many of you are aware how horrendous the stock 4x4 look is. Does getting an H&R or Eibach kit really make a difference over something cheaper like the Steeda springs? And is it really necessary for me to upgrade the shocks as well? Thanks for the help in advance.

After all this I just need to find a good tint shop in NoVa...:cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Can only speak to the spring question. I just put a set of Steeda sport springs on my 04 GT vert. I really like the look, not too low as to worry about scrapes and bumps. Ride and handling just seems to be better.

Before I bought them I talked to the folks at Steeda. They said you can put them on without having to do anything with shocks, struts, camber plates or bumpsteer kits. Of course they also said adding/changing all of these things would only improve handling.

After a while I will probably make additional suspension changes and most likely with Steeda parts. They are a great company and service is exceptional.

Alacrity said:
Now that my birthday and Christmas are both coming up I'm planning on getting a few things. :D I want to order the Chrome Saleen rims (18x10 for the back and 18x9 for the front, found here: http://www.mustangtuning.com/supersales.html) but am unsure what tires to put on. I think the recommended size is 275 in the back, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to fit on 295. I also want a tire that performs pretty well but one that won't wear out on me too fast.

295 on the rear is just fine :nice: for a decent tire look at BF Goodrich KDW good traction and it'll last (depending on how heavy footed you are)

Alacrity said:
I also need a drop desperately, as I'm sure many of you are aware how horrendous the stock 4x4 look is. Does getting an H&R or Eibach kit really make a difference over something cheaper like the Steeda springs? And is it really necessary for me to upgrade the shocks as well? Thanks for the help in advance.
Depending where you look the Pro-Kit and Steeda springs are around the same price. H&R, Steeda, Eibach Pro all have good traits, won't go wrong with any of them

put some 315/35/18 on the back! :hail2: :drool: :drool: :drool: :hail2:
Alacrity said:

After all this I just need to find a good tint shop in NoVa...:cheers:

Here's a pic of KDW 295's on a 10" rim. These tires grip very well in dry and wet road conditions. Had 555's on before and the KDW are much better. Sorry, but I don't have a good shot of just the rear tire.
View attachment 498241

Here's a pic of the stance with Eibach springs. Had BBK springs before and Eibachs are much better in my opinion. Also have Bilstein's installed and they make a world of difference.
View attachment 498243

I've got Saleens with 285's out back, want to go bigger though! I also have H&R Sport springs and love the raked stance they give. I went ahead and got new shocks/struts along with CC Plates when I put them in.

17nm.jpg

32bb.jpg

Attachments

• 17nm.jpg
    17nm.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 32bb.jpg
    32bb.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 80
my .02. suspention is not only about looks it is about handling so make you choices for both.

I recomend H&R springs. chose between the sport or supersport. if you want to minimize cost you may not need CC plates with the sports.

change you shocks and struts. Stock suck period. there is no way you can maximize you handling without them.

I like the bfg kdw-2 tires that I have now. I would run 285-295 out back with 255-275 up front. I would let you wallet decide there. some tire sizes come at a premium. you will pay $30 more a tire for 275 than 255.

if you are really on a budget I would look on ebay for the tokico HP system. springs and shocks both for like $395 shippped. this is the beast deal period for a matched system.