Tires for 17x9 Cobra rims

91gt5.0 said:
with the 17x9's with 275's, does anyone have any issues with them rubbing on your exhaust???? my friend said on his that they rubbed on his exhaust pipe. is this tru? i got a cobra rear bumper just so i could get the chrome tips and i want to see them but i dont wanna have a rubbing issue.

While I only have 2.5" exhaust, I have plenty of room with 275's out back. I do have rear disc, so I don't know if that pushes the whell out at all, but I have at least .5" of space on each side by the exhaust. The exhausts can be moved more inboard as well, just trim the hanger a little bit.

I wrapped a worm "clamp" around the hanger and the pipe bracket, and it keeps it nice and snug in place.

*cough*, yeah, I shouldn't post when I'm sleepy. :lol:

• Sponsors (?)

Im sure he didnt pay $365 for a chrome set. The silver ones go for around that price. I just ordered mine from afs and Im paying $560 for chrome cobra r's. I asked around and people told me that you barely see the blemishes and that the wheel looks good. I hope they are right!

MUSTANGJOE said:
Im sure he didnt pay $365 for a chrome set. The silver ones go for around that price. I just ordered mine from afs and Im paying $560 for chrome cobra r's. I asked around and people told me that you barely see the blemishes and that the wheel looks good. I hope they are right!

MUSTANGJOE said:
The ones I got from AFS did have a couple of little scratches that look like a tire machine got into one of the wheels but that was just under close inspection. I got them mounted on the car and you would never be able to see the scratces. I cant bitch at all for the price. My only complaint is that the rear tires look too small for the 9" rims to me. I wish they would have let me upgrade to the 275's but they swore they would not fit. The fronts are perfect with the 8" wheel but I will eventually get bigger ones on the rear.

Stinger said:
I just saw a chrome set go on ebay for that price...

For $360?...impossible. I've been watching these auctions for 3 weeks now trying to get a good deal on chrome cobra r's from AFS. The price was always in the $500. Atleast for these past weeks!

MUSTANGJOE said:
For $360?...impossible. I've been watching these auctions for 3 weeks now trying to get a good deal on chrome cobra r's from AFS. The price was always in the $500. Atleast for these past weeks!

Well, I deleted the link a few days ago...otherwise I would show you.

I have 275/40/17 nitto drag radials ready to be put on my brand new chrome cobra R's 17by 9's, just wondering what the best size from tire is, dont have any yet, its for a 90 gt, thanks.

rculjak said:
Hey guys, one more question, I bought 17/9's all the way around, are the front going to give my rubbing problems because I went with the 9"?

it shouldnt, just dont put too much of a wide tire on there...just check to see the actual rim doesnt rub before u start driving it...theres a littel plate on the a arm that my ROHs (16x8) rubbed on, tore he inside on the rim lip up and i cant balance them cuase my wieghts wear off. but ive heard alot of people runing 17x9s with no probs.

Stinger said:

The links you posted are for damaged wheels ..Its writen that they are in bad condition! AFS wheels are not in bad condition. They just have slight blemishes on the finish. If they are scratched or in poor condition it should be stated. Anyways Ill see when I get them I guess.

I have 17X9's all the way around with 275/40/17's and only have a slight rubbing issue in the front fender extensions. Mine is an 88 Coupe with a Cervini's Stalker/Cobra kit. They did rub a little in the back as well, but a little fender lip massaging fixed that. :
P3140005.jpg

P1010006.jpg