Tires____I Need Tires

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Guys I know this comes up all the time but I dont feel like searching and I suck at searching too. I know you all can give me some info on this topic.:D I want to know whats a good tire that HANDLES well and also has straight line performance. I dont drive the car in the rain or in the winter so im not worried about that. I want it to be a good priced tire not $200 a piece.:rolleyes: My car isnt to powerful just a little bit stronger than stock. I want 245/50/16 in the rear and I guess 225/50/16 in the front. I would like to change wheels but I will wait and do a 5 lug conversion and new wheels one of these days, besides the ponys make it look slower. :p Just let me know whats a good tire to buy and not buy.

P.S. Dont say the "f" word you will get the "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" thing. Ex. 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' :shrug:

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Well, let me say Nitto's, they are good radials with sticky tread.

Also, I have Firestone SZ-50's on the back of mine. The made the car handle better and also they stick pretty good on the street, and realy handle rain, but suck at the track.

I'll give my .2 on this again. Dont go wider than 225/55/16, stick with that size. If you like to go around corners fast, a wider tire on that rim will make it sway badly. I know, I have 245/50 on my ponies. Handling is much worse than with the 225's. I really needs some smaller tires on the front. I put them all the way around. :nonono:

edit: I forgot, 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me', 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'

My latest set are Yokohama ES100's they grip pretty good and are very reasonable. they are fine for a mostly stock car. But when you build some power and run DR's, everything else will feel just plain slippery.
I run 225/50/16's on the front and 245/45/16's on the back. that way the rear tires are wider but are the exact same hight as the fronts.

92GreenGT said:
How does a Nitto DR do around curves? I dont fly through curves but I dont want a tire that I have to slow down to a crawl to go around one. Also, what kind of tire should I run up front if I get a Nitto DR?

Dave

You could run anything up front, Nitto makes a tire with a simular tred pattern but not in 225/50/16 (go figure) but I had those Yokohama's up front and the Nitto's out back and I could corner real hard and lay into the throttle 1/2 way through the turn and the thing would hook and go!
(man I miss that) now I pretty much can do a "drifter" imitation around any corner.
The Nitto DR's cost $300.00 mounted and ballanced (for 2) at Discount tire.
They are great on the street, but they do wear pretty fast and I picked up 6 nails in mine before I just couldn't plug them any more. Probably just a coincidence, but I thought it may be from how soft they are.

The nitto's are nice, but if you don't keep them balanced, they will wear, and wear fast. Now mine shimmy like an old person doing the cha cha when I'm over 80 mph. Thats ok though, they are getting replaced soon by something with a bit longer life.

nitto drag radials will wear out very fast. when i had mine on the car corners where a pain. there is a road nearby where i live and i can usually take it around 80-90. with the drag radials on it felt very loose. just the regular nitto NT555 have crappy treadwear. they will wear out fast. im running bridgestone Potenza RE730's on my car, 245/50's all the way around. they handle great, dry traction is awesome and wet traction is very good too. the only downfall is they give off road noise because of the aggressive tread design. but they are well worth it. Too bad they are disconntinued and brigestone came out with a new model. but you may be able to find some somewhere. also this is just my .02 but i would runt he same size all the way around. i work at a tire shop and i run the same size because u can rotate the tires if they ever start wearing wrong.