Tko 500/600

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
Illinois
I'm just looking for a consensus on these transmissions. How well do they shift on the street? What have been your expieriences with power shifting at higher rpm's? I've read mixed reviews about an otb trans. They seem to shift better with the proper upgrades. I'm going to be purchasing one soon and really just looking for opinions/expieriences. Thanks for any feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

Running a 3550 but when I had it apart it had the TKO components inside. Had it apart for sychros one time. Just put stock stuff back in it. Since apart hurt 4th gear sychro trying to power shift and was not aggressive enough, this was leaving a stop sign on the street. So every shift into 4th is now notchy. I have a pro 5.0 shifter and struggle with power shifting. Partly as a clutch habit and partly due to the fact I don't want to tear it up.
I think the key is if your power shifting there can be no hesitation, you have to shift like your going to kill it.

I have heard many say they don't like high rpm's, I guess I have never really tested that fact.

I do struggle with the thing leaking, I don't know why but it seeps from the shifter, the rear seal even though that was replaced as well as the sleeve bearing and the speedo drive.

Scott

Reactions: 1 user
I've read they don't like to shift over 6500 rpm, but my rev limiter is at 6700 and I've yet to miss a shift because the trans didn't like it. Normal driving isn't as smooth as a T5, but beat it like it owes you money and it performs exceptionally, and unlike the T5, doesn't break on hard 2-3 shifts. That's 450 rwhp and 489 rwtq. Got the t-shirt. Buy it.. no real better option imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user