Progress Thread She’s a runner

I did mine without the engine in the car. I put the body on jack stands, removed the wheel, hung caliper to the side, placed jack under ball joint, and removed the two strut bolts. I jacked it up until the car almost came off the stand on that corner. If there is a bunch of resistance removing the last strut bolt it's a sign that the spring is still putting pressure on the strut. They tend to be seized a little but after a couple wacks the bolts should come out the last bit by hand.

Always use caution when removing springs. I never stand or crouch right in front of the line of fire. I've done more spring removals than I can count with the engine out of the cars. It's the most common way to replace the k members. You'll be fine.

You will need a long pry bar to pluck the spring out. I also use a couple rags on top of the stands and place them where boxed frame rail is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I did mine without the engine in the car. I put the body on jack stands, removed the wheel, hung caliper to the side, placed jack under ball joint, and removed the two strut bolts. I jacked it up until the car almost came off the stand on that corner. If there is a bunch of resistance removing the last strut bolt it's a sign that the spring is still putting pressure on the strut. They tend to be seized a little but after a couple wacks the bolts should come out the last bit by hand.

Always use caution when removing springs. I never stand or crouch right in front of the line of fire. I've done more spring removals than I can count with the engine out of the cars. It's the most common way to replace the k members. You'll be fine.

You will need a long pry bar to pluck the spring out. I also use a couple rags on top of the stands and place them where boxed frame rail is.
Ya I’ve done many with the engine in but when I jack under the A-arm now it doesn’t move and lifts the car off stands. Maybe I’ll have my brother stand on the k.

If you put a piece of tape or use a marker to mark the strut you can see if its compressing at all. Can be hard to see small movements. Any noticeable movement means the pressure is off the strut. Your brother standing or sitting in there would make a good video.

Reactions: 1 user
If you put a piece of tape or use a marker to mark the strut you can see if its compressing at all. Can be hard to see small movements. Any noticeable movement means the pressure is off the strut. Your brother standing or sitting in there would make a good video.
I’ll give it a try. Also will record my brother standing on the k if needed lol

Success.
I also patched a spot of rust in the lower tower/frame area. I didn’t take pics tho. Small spot on the other side and I’m done with the welding and grinding.

I’m gonna reuse the A-arms with the upr k-member I’m probably getting. Do they make poly bushings? Would cutting out the spring pocket reduce the strength of the a-arm? I can just see that area collecting road grime.

Attachments

• 5FDA609B-220B-446F-A72C-6E24474883B0.jpeg
    5FDA609B-220B-446F-A72C-6E24474883B0.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 114
If you cut the spring pocket area out of a factory arm it will weaken it. if you weld a plate on it it'll strengthen it. I say cut a piece of steel and weld it over the top to cover that cup...or leave it be.

Got the transmission pulled today. It was a bear since no amount of persuading would get out the drivers side bolts so out it came with the bell housing. It’s a grimy as it could be. This car was “undercoated” up north there’s a few things people do. Fluid film being the most popular. It’s basically like heavy waste oil. This will be a bitch to clean, good thing I own a car wash cause my driveway would be black if I cleaned it here. Probably get the engine out next weekend.

Original starter? I’m guessing even a motorcraft one now would be made in Mexico or elsewhere.

Have the starter rebuilt. Even if you don't use it, concourse folks would like to have it from here or FEP.

I am gonna have it rebuilt. There’s a place in cleveland that rebuilds starters, alternators and generators. They said they’ll restore and rebuild it for 75-100.

It still amazes me that in 2019, people are still pulling these original units out of these cars. lol

None of my mini-starters have [ever] lasted anywhere near that long.

It still amazes me that in 2019, people are still pulling these original units out of these cars. lol

None of my mini-starters have [ever] lasted anywhere near that long.
Ya I was pretty shocked. It’s got 80k miles on it. On my 66 thunderbird I had original shocks , starter, and alternator. I ran the shocks another 1000 miles till one literally blew up. Ha!

brakes question... I pulled the master and booster and proportioning valve so i can clean up and paint that area. Can i eliminate the factory proportioning valve and just use an aftermarket one on the rear line? I'm sure i'll do disc brakes in the future and this will clean up the area under the master a little bit.

brakes question... I pulled the master and booster and proportioning valve so i can clean up and paint that area. Can i eliminate the factory proportioning valve and just use an aftermarket one on the rear line? I'm sure i'll do disc brakes in the future and this will clean up the area under the master a little bit.

Yes. Run the MM prop valve delete kit (or make your own) and install the adjustable on the rear line at the firewall

Oops I accidentally ordered this. ;-)
Thanks @a91what for letting us know if you call upr direct and ask they’ll give you 10% off!!
Now what the hell am I gonna do with the boat anchor factory K member

Attachments

• 2D20BC54-BFAC-46DA-A205-F0C84F7B74B4.png
    2D20BC54-BFAC-46DA-A205-F0C84F7B74B4.png
    351.7 KB · Views: 157
Little update... I know you all love pics but i dont have them at the moment. Engine bay is cleaned up and painted with exception of the core support, I'll get that next. I desided not to weld up all the holes throughout the bay, as i started looking at that and i thought man i'll be welding and grinding for days and if i go that far should i fully smooth the bay... so I decided to clean up the wiring and got rid of what wasnt being used and tucked away some of the others and painted with satin black epoxy paint. Got the K member in roughly, still need to square it. I'm close to being able to put that stuff all back in once its squared then i'll start thinking about the engine stuff.

Pussie.

If you're goonna do it, do it. Everybody that ever looked at the 50 billion holes drilled in those strut towers looked at them and thought to themselves ...Phckkk me!. I gotta weld those all shut?

You're no different.

You wanna be in the smoothed bay club, or the engine compartment full of holes and rattle canned because I couldn't be bothered club?

• Haha