To Cut or Not to Cut...

TnPaulMan

Feb 5, 2004
Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on cutting stock springs or lowering with aftermarket springs? Is one better than the other or not? What are the pros and cons?

Paul

• Sponsors (?)

Ok sounds like what I was going to conclude too. MM & FF has an article that they cut the springs and they never said much else. I know it is cheaper but I also agree that it would be better to have the real things.

I don't have a car btw, just reading up before my purchase in a few months.

Thanks,

Paul

TnPaulMan said:
Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on cutting stock springs or lowering with aftermarket springs? Is one better than the other or not? What are the pros and cons?

Paul

I have cut springs twice in my life. I must have a very short memory because the ride sucked both times. Not worth it.

Stock springs are progressive rate, so if you cut them, they will be more specific rate in theory. If you just cut the bottom dead coil, I doubt it would really effect the firmness too much, but I haven't done this, so I really don't know. Cutting several coils would definatly make it ride hard.

The only thing I think may really be good is you could see what it looks like at a different highth, and decide on your ride highth. I'm thinking of investing in adjustable lower controll arms such as MM adjustables and getting some coil-overs for the front since everyone with them loves them, but still just thinking of what to do.