To get a bike or not to get a bike...pics.

What should I do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i would love to get a GSXR 750. a 1000 or more is too much for a first bike. the only reason i am looking at the 750 is b/c i'm not a small guy! i'm 6'3 270 lbs so i need something a little bigger, but i would never consider a busa for a beginner bike! if you do end up getting one just put me in your will. that turbo stang of yours would look great sitting next to my car!

• Sponsors (?)

oh and another thing to think about accidents generally happen within the first 6 months of owning a bike. So please becareful and learn whatever bike you get before going crazy. And accidents also happen within a few miles from your house. They are dangerous and powerful machines. You have to learn to respect this type of power. The minute you think your better than the bike thats when its gonna kick ya in the ***. My dad taught me how to ride dirtbikes when i was 9 and now im 19 so ive been hearing this my whole life basically.

I actually started on dirt bikes as a teen. Then about 6 years later finally got an 83 Honda Magna 700. Plenty quick, but heavy as a MoFo. I'm 5'10, 155lbs, so I'm not huge and that bike weighed about 600lbs. So when it started tipping, took all I had to get it back up and keep from dropping it. And being a newbie....the weight was definetely a factor when riding it. Sold it and got a Nighthawk 250...very easy bike to learn and get comfy on. Just pretty darn slow. Still fun and still quick, but doesn't seem quick compared to other bikes. Finally sold it cuz I didn't ride it much.

Oh, I only had liability on both bikes cuz they were only worth couple of grand, I was mid 20's, perfect record, married and paid about 100 bucks a year.

Absolutely excellent response. Just what I would expect from our crowd. Take all of this advice very seriously. The bikes you're looking into are absolutely suicidal. I've ridden a Turbo Busa, and I had hell holding on, I'm 6'4/225, well conditioned. And still, I had a hard time on it, physically. But this was the turbo, and although it is the fastest I've ever gone on land, it's still a bike for the most experienced, and honest, open-minded, secure, intelligent and super well informed rider.

With power comes many other things. Think of how much of an absolute pain in the a$s getting a Stang to handle is. Think of the uncertainty the first few times you found yourself (In your stang) coming out of a corner too fast, and it either grabs and slings you back the other way, or folds into understeer sendin' ur a$s into the grass. On a bike, the uncertainty is so much worse. Basically it's a hell of a lot easier to hit the pavement on a 1000cc that weighs the same as a 650cc, for something as simple as exact tire width, wind, angle of a turn and how much the angle changes throughout the turn. Not all turns are perfect in shape, some can start sharp, then get easy on you, in this case noobs accelerate, then sharpen up again before straightening out. You'll find yourself with hardcore burns, a broken bike, and hopefully not underneath a car or truck.

Be smart, do what most of us have already explained, seriously, get a starter bike, doesn't mean it's gonna have training wheels, believe me, even a Gsx'R 600 will blow you away. Btw it's one of the better all around bikes, also someone on here has one, that's posted already, so you can get info about it. I've ridden a lot of bikes, I ride dirt bikes, and especially quads A LOT, and I gotta tell ya, all the practice in the world can't prepare you for what one of those bikes is going to behave like. Plus you have to deal with the uncertainty of the road. Recognize a death wish. Get the right bike, for the right rider.

And like the one guy said, there's two kinds of riders, very true. Arrogance gets many people killed, it killed a good friend of mine. :mad:

:SNSign:

DocG2828 said:
I actually started on dirt bikes as a teen. Then about 6 years later finally got an 83 Honda Magna 700. Plenty quick, but heavy as a MoFo. I'm 5'10, 155lbs, so I'm not huge and that bike weighed about 600lbs. So when it started tipping, took all I had to get it back up and keep from dropping it. And being a newbie....the weight was definetely a factor when riding it. Sold it and got a Nighthawk 250...very easy bike to learn and get comfy on. Just pretty darn slow. Still fun and still quick, but doesn't seem quick compared to other bikes. Finally sold it cuz I didn't ride it much.

Oh, I only had liability on both bikes cuz they were only worth couple of grand, I was mid 20's, perfect record, married and paid about 100 bucks a year.
yea my dad wanted me to get a nighthawk 250 for my first street bike. But cause i loved the crotch rockets so much i got the ninja 250. When i got the nighthawk 750 I took the 250 to the track which was an 1/8th mile track I ran a best of a 9.7 at 72 it was hilarious cause my friends in there hondas and there vws couldnt even keep up i just kept saying come on guys its only got 20 hp. good times.

Anyways but please cody do us all a favor if you want to get started in bikes please start out small and work your way up. Even if you have a 600 for a year or two its better than jumping right into a liter bike. A lot of guys get them thinking they can handle them and Ill go back into the dealer about a month later and the bike is in there totalled and the wife sold it cause the guy killed himself on it. Ive seen bikes in the back of shops with tree branches sticking through them. Dunno how they did that but they can be dangerous just be safe and always watch out for the other idiot on the road its normally not your fault but the other retard in the car that didnt see you or doesnt care.

I dunno how tall and how much you weigh but im 5'9" about 140 and my 636 is vary fast heck goin about 1/2 throttle in first not even punchin it the bike stands up pretty easily. It holds its own against all the bigger bikes especially in the twisties. You dont really need anything bigger than a 600 period for the street cause crap i cant even rev out 1st gear without going over the speed limit including on the highway lol. 2nd get goes 105 heck i had to adjust the shift light down to 14500 because human reactions arent fast enough to shift when you see the light so i always bounced off the limiter lol. And you may actually have more fun on a 600 due to the high revs.

oh and another thing i suggest going used for a first bike as well cause you probably will drop it at a slow speed and wait till you see the prices on new plastics lol. Like i told ya i dropped mine a few days ago at 10-15mph when the rear end kicked out on me well its gonna be 2 gs to fix and thats just the left side lol.

Yeah you may want to chat with Big Ben first about the busa before you buy one (sorry steeler fans) :), yeah i would stay away from that bike its just nuts, i have been in the same planning stages as well of getting a bike and i was looking at the Honda RC51 niky hayden edition as my first bike, then i started reading more about it and its not a first bike so i am probably going to get a GSXR750 and do all the classes and what not to prepare myself as much as possible!!..

I like the look of the Busa better than the ZX14, but both bikes are very good. I'm waiting for the new Busa that's supposed to be coming out next year to see if it's going to be faster than the 14.
While the Busa is a bit porky compared to the R1, ZX10 etc. it's still 150-200lbs lighter than most of the big twin cruisers. Once you get used to the weight of the bike it's no big deal but I've been riding and racing bikes since I was 3 years old so I guess I'm not the right person to ask :shrug: I would however highly recommend taking as many riding courses as you can.

my uncle died last summer 5 miles from my house riding next to my dad (his brother) on a bike. my uncle was the safest bike rider you would have ever known, but drivers are so stupid these days. ill leave it at that, but seriously, think about what your getting into when you buy a bike. I will never in my life own one because i have personally seen way too many deaths on bikes in my life, and one in my direct familly.

along with everyone else, if you dont ride and havent in years you should esp. get something smaller to start. Believe me you will never push a 600 to its extreme limits, its more than quick enough. even if you want more power you can run a 600 above 10k all the time and believe me you wont want to..... even though i want something bigger already :nice:

as for insurance, in nj, 18 years old, just liability on 600 f4i , im paid $354 for the year

steveb24 said:
my uncle died last summer 5 miles from my house riding next to my dad (his brother) on a bike. my uncle was the safest bike rider you would have ever known, but drivers are so stupid these days. ill leave it at that, but seriously, think about what your getting into when you buy a bike. I will never in my life own one because i have personally seen way too many deaths on bikes in my life, and one in my direct familly.
Sorry to hear that but yes there are all lot of idiot drivers out there.

no way

Um...dude....

NONE OF THE ABOVE :nono:

TRUST ME, you do not want a bike that heavy and with that much power for your first bike. That is just stupid.

You need to start on something easy and cheap. The first time you are midway thru a turn and someone slams on their brakes you are going to dump it.

Get comfortable on a manageable bike first, take a DMV motorcycle safety class, get some practice then move up if you feel the need. Honestly though most newer 600s crotch rockets are PLENTY fast for a 1st bike.

I started on a KX125 dirtbike in highschool, got a Ninja 500 for the street years later and after I was comfortable on that bought the Ducati Monster 900 I now ride. I took the DMV safety class too.

If you want to live, start on a slower, lighter bike. :rolleyes:

let me sum this thread up real quick.

dont get a liter bike for a first bike its just not a smart idea crack on that throttle and you may find yourself on ur back. Bikes are not that dangerous you must learn to be a defensive driver on a bike. Take the msf class it will also give you a break on insurance.

But please buy a 600cc they are more than enough bike and when you can push one of those to its limit then go for a liter bike. But i am pretty sure any beginner will not be able to do that for years. Heck im still afraid of my 600 it is full of surprises like when im not trying to do a wheelie it might just come up anyways.

**edit**you should get a dirtbike even to learn.lol it may sound retarded but thats where i got a lot of my riding skills. And when you get into certain situations it will teach you how not to panic and you will get use to the back end sliding. I wish that would have been the case with me i would have been fine if it didnt grab traction and then snap back lol. O well what can ya do. It was a learning experience for me.