To remove Brake Dust shields or not?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
I got some '94 spindles which I have to put on my car, the dust shields are riveted onto the spindle, should I remove them or not?

I took them off on the spindles on my car now, and I like it better, plus I Auto-X, so I'd think it'd cool better, no?

• Sponsors (?)

yes and no, one they keep your wheels cleanier so you don't have to wash them as much, and yes in the respect that removed they cool your brakes faster. Im one who believes that it doesn't make a significant difference so better off keeping them on unless you really just want to show off the brakes and don't need a fugly shield blocking them.

I believe Ford uses the same shields for the Cobra brakes as the stock brakes. IMO, it is just a matter of taste....I don't think it makes much difference on getting the wheels dirty, the rotor blocks it anyway. I have them on my fronts, but don't have them on the rear.

I don't have the rear dust shields front or rear on my car.

I don't have them in the rear because my modified offset Mark 7 setup won't let me use them.

I don't have them up front because my spindles didn't come with them.

The sheilds are cheap new...$15 or so. I just don't really think it's that important.