To upgrade the fan or to upgrade the Radiator?

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
After driving my car (FINALLY!) and putting real stress on the motor with WOTs, and doing 0-60s on the highway I saw the car would go all the way over to the L. It wouldn't pass it (though if I drove it harder I could've made it passed it).
This is the fan running on high speed, on the highway.

So should I aim to upgrade the radiator or the fan?
This'll be a while before I ever do it since my job doesn't pay me real money anymore, but I was just wondering.

Thanks, guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I installed mine in the center stack.
Moved the ac controls to the space where the pocket used to be.

Best picture I have right now.
DSCN1794.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1794.jpg
    DSCN1794.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 74
There was actually this one gauge mount that replaced the spare storage compartment and you could put three in. But that requires putting in two more gauges, and I wanted to upgrade to a double din. But that is one of the cleanest mount spots

Yeah, I thought about mounting them low, but I like them closer to eye level.

How about the cluster bezel gauge mount?
1 on each side, and it'll leave the center stack open for your double din.

Yeah, I thought about mounting them low, but I like them closer to eye level.

How about the cluster bezel gauge mount?
1 on each side, and it'll leave the center stack open for your double din.
If I was keeping it single din then I would've done it the low way, it's harder to say, but it fits perfectly and flows well with the interior.
The cluster bezel gauge is a good one, but still looks off, I considered it for a bit but not to sure.
Maybe I'll do the steering column one, it's not gorgeous, but it's in line of sight and is only one gauge. Time to start pricing I suppose:p

It'll be atleast a month till I can do that though. I was scheduled for 4 hours this week (time to find a new part-time job!).

I aspire to have a full custom gauge cluster, but those are very very expensive...;D

davis3 what does your signature mean?

For my "How To" write ups, this is the only place I post them.
I'm a member of the "other" forums, but stangnet is my home.

As for the cluster bezel, my buddy SableSal has it.
Looks cool in person.

Reactions: 1 user
For my "How To" write ups, this is the only place I post them.
I'm a member of the "other" forums, but stangnet is my home.

As for the cluster bezel, my buddy SableSal has it.
Looks cool in person.
I'll look them up then:p

It's really a money thing for everything, it's all thoughts right now. I've just never been about to drive the car into the 'hot section' of the meter on the highway with the fan spinning so it peaked my concern. But, like I said, I was driving it 'rough.'

But, being able to accurately measure my coolant temps seems like a good idea.

180 is the temperature that it opens at, not the flow. Mr Gasket makes thermostats that have a bigger hole and flow more water.

Kurt
Gotcha! I'll order one soon, probably next paycheck.
One more question for you guys, when should I set my fan to kick on at? I've not changed it from it's original setting at the minimum of 160 degrees, but it goes upto 220, via adjustment screw.

Gotcha! I'll order one soon, probably next paycheck.
One more question for you guys, when should I set my fan to kick on at? I've not changed it from it's original setting at the minimum of 160 degrees, but it goes upto 220, via adjustment screw.

The actually have that Thermostat at Advance and I think at Autozone as well. I have my fan set at 190 degrees. There is no reason to have the fan kick on before the thermostat is open.

Kurt

185 in the South Florida heat. C&R Aluminum Radiator, 180 Stat, 2 bottles of water wetter, 60 Water / 40 Coolant, stock Fan switched on HIGH at all times. Oh and a real gauge.

ClockPod2.jpg

ClockPod1.jpg

Attachments

• ClockPod2.jpg
    ClockPod2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 73
  • ClockPod1.jpg
    ClockPod1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 73
I also have a C&R Radiator. I bought it from Steeda back when they were selling them. Can't speak highly of it enough. I've had it for 10 years now, and I have never had any of the problems people have with other aluminum radiators. The factory setting for the fan is something like 212 degrees. I know for sure it's over 200 degrees.

Kurt