Too much oil?

pwcracer

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2000
Hastings, MN, USA
I have an after market oil pan installed on my new engine. I added about 5 quarts of oil. I noticed that the oil dipstick tube has an extender on it so the dipstick wont reach the oil and I can judge my oil level. I had a little bit of lifter noise a few month back (still do :( ) so i added a bit more oil to see if it would go away. I think I may have too much oil in it now.. I also noticed that at very high RPM's, 5500-6000 I can see white smoke from the exhaust. Not much, but I can notice it, and it is only happening at very high RPMs. Could this be a result of too much oil?

• Sponsors (?)

Well my car did this a while back but I had over 150K on the motor. I had the heads done with new valve seals. It ended up being my rings, it too only did this at high rpm. I guess it could be seals but I would think you would have smoke on startup if it were them. Have you checked your intake for oil through the pcv?

Exhaust smoke from oil should be bluish. White smoke is usually water/antifreeze. If you do a cylinder leakdown test and it shows nothing you may be lifting the heads at the 6000+ rpm under boost allowing coolant to be drawn back into the cylinder.