Too much timing?

• Sponsors (?)

That seems normal actually.. what are the symptoms?
35-40° seems normal?
EGT's are 12-1300° while cruising at 2,000 RPM

I don't think so. You getting detonation?
No detonation extremely high EGT readings

12-1300° at cruising speeds

12 to 1300 degree EGT readings at cruising speeds

Let's reduce that quadruple post into a single.

I am not a pro with EGTs. I'm just curious as to how you're monitoring them?

Anyways, That does seem in the right ballpark to me. Now, regarding your timing... and I consider myself a novice, I don't think temps go down as you retard timing. In fact, I believe it's the reverse. Advancing the timing brings EGTs down. Detonation also results in lower temps in the exhaust. This is because the burn happens earlier in the combustion cycle and the thermal energy is being absorbed through the pistons/heads/cylinder walls, which is not what you want, because then it's melting stuff.

Chris

Last edited:
Those egt are safe in a gasoline engine under light to moderate load. They will increase with retarding timing, you are likely at stoic at this temperature where egt tend to be the highest. Under wot it's not uncommon to see 1600-1900 egt on gasoline.

That seems odd since my EGT gauge only goes to 1600 degrees
Your also probably not going to be pushing 40+ psi through a turbo, the heat in the header can get rather extreme. you can try playing with timing/fuel to see if it will reduce, going leaner and richer than stoic will reduce EGT temperatures. the leaner you go the more advance the engine will want, keep that in mind as well.
advancing the timing will reduce the temp in the exhaust, ever seen headers start to glow at idle? usually the result of overly retarded timing.

Your also probably not going to be pushing 40+ psi through a turbo, the heat in the header can get rather extreme. you can try playing with timing/fuel to see if it will reduce, going leaner and richer than stoic will reduce EGT temperatures. the leaner you go the more advance the engine will want, keep that in mind as well.
advancing the timing will reduce the temp in the exhaust, ever seen headers start to glow at idle? usually the result of overly retarded timing.
I appreciate your help I built the car 11 years ago and then had to put it away after only a couple hundred miles it's a 306 trick flow heads Anderson blower cam Vortec 5-speed 373 gear Anderson Ford Motorsports PMS system the car literally got put away for 10 years I'm just trying to bring it back to life I don't recall the egts being that high on it the high timing and high egts appear to come in before the standalone system comes into play also cannot seem to save changes on the engine management system you don't know anybody who is familiar with the Anderson Ford Motorsports PMS system do you this whole thing literally has two to three hundred miles on everything so I'm not looking to discard any of the items that purchased during the build

Attachments

• 15683915555031850074597612937666.jpg
    15683915555031850074597612937666.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 15683916722348343275874123253139.jpg
    15683916722348343275874123253139.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 91
yea take that off and throw it in the trash toss a moates quarterhorse on it and actually tune it

also i see you have an msd distributor. Take that off and pitch it in the trash as well and upgrade to an oem stock replacement distributor.

egt is useless on an na gas engine

I had a PMS years ago, when my car was n/a it worked pretty well and was easy to use. Once I started heavy mods adding
boost etc. it seemed to struggle.
There are a lot better tuning options now especially for a boosted set-up, like Decipha mentioned a Moates quaterhorse is pretty
affordable and you can get them with a base tune loaded to your set-up to get started.
I currently am running a Stinger PimpXS which is a stand alone MS3 based ecu, still learning but it's been great.