Top 10 dumbest things I've done to my car

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
Top 10 dumbest things i've done to my car.

Most of you guys know i can an arrogant a-hole sometimes, but i do speak from mostly experience.
I like some of you guys like to learn the hard way.
So i figured i'd share some of the bad things i've done, to prove i'm human too.
Just remember i've had this car since 93/94

Some of the idiotic things i've tried are:

1. Removing the back seats, god is this stupid and pointless, besides, no matter what you do, it never looks right.
2. Removing the A/C, just as dumb and stupid as removing the back seats.
3. Southside Bars, as if solid bearings had enough give to not tear the god damn torque boxes out.
4. Drag springs, ya their great and all at the track, but if you like to go around turns at more than 10mph, they blow.
5. Nitrous, what a waste of money that was.
6. Billet interior accessories, i guess that was my ghetto phase.
7. Custom cam based strictly on making the most peak power, at all costs (my choice), ya made about 340rwhp on a stock shortblock, but was a mother F'er to drive in traffic.
8. The use of any mac product, why it took 3 different failures to learn my lesson, who the hell knows.
9. Removing my rear seatbelts, torx bit kept breaking so i cut the heads off. Doh, had to burn that out when i figured out that i had to put it back together.
10. Putting capped lug nuts on the 3 inch cold hardened studs on my moser axles, studs backed out and tore the hell of my rear drum brakes as soon as i backed up.

Other things i consider dumb, are converting Efi cars to carbs, and removing the power steering.
I considered the PS delete, then drove a car without it in a parking lot.

• Sponsors (?)

I get all of them except for the studs, how did they break?

I did a good one years ago when I built my first engine. Chose the wrong pistons thinking more compression was better. Ended up with about 11.8:1 on an iron headed block, with a cam that had a max lift of .441, that went into a half ton truck. Knocked like crazy on 93 + octane booster, and ran like a dog.

What I can relate to from your list:

Removed the AC - I don't really miss it at all though since my roof disappears.
Billet interior accessories - I just have window switches and shift knob, which don't IMO stick out like a sore thumb, plus they blend nicely (again IMO) w/the white interior. I don't really like them in a dark interior though.
MAC parts - my MAC exhaust has lasted me 10 years so far, so I can't complain :D

with Oz on the A/C delete. i just did mine but mine never worked and i too can put the top down. That dont really help much if it 95 and sunny, but if its that hot ill drive the scion or our 01 gt, air blows cold in it!

I get all of them except for the studs, how did they break?

I did a good one years ago when I built my first engine. Chose the wrong pistons thinking more compression was better. Ended up with about 11.8:1 on an iron headed block, with a cam that had a max lift of .441, that went into a half ton truck. Knocked like crazy on 93 + octane booster, and ran like a dog.

The moser studs are screw in, so when the tip bottomed out on the lug nut, they back out.
When i fixed it, i had to put lug nuts with holes (ones meant to be hidden under a center cap) then put the proper lug nuts that are meant to be seen over them. PITA.
So i bought 2 inch studs when i did the brake conversion.

I will add to the list: Buying brand new parts when you can by used ones for half the price....

The moser studs are screw in, so when the tip bottomed out on the lug nut, they back out.
When i fixed it, i had to put lug nuts with holes (ones meant to be hidden under a center cap) then put the proper lug nuts that are meant to be seen over them. PITA.
So i bought 2 inch studs when i did the brake conversion.

Ah OK, I gotcha. Was having a hard time picturing what exactly happened.

sometimes your better off buying new. i was buying multi function switches off of ebay for 20 bucks, broke down two years ago and bought a new one for 100 something, the new LMR catalog has them at almost 300.

Agreed on the a/c delete. Done it and its dumb...especially in the hot humid PA summers. Carb conversion...did it on my vert a year after I swapped out the 4 cyl for 5.0. I was having issues with sensors and BS and I can tune a carb with my eyes closed. It ran awesome afterwards and was really happy plus I didnt have to worry about emissions.

yeah but make sure your local laws don't prohibit you from altering factory safety equipment - namely removing seat belts.

I agree with the list, even in my car which is 90% drag I still keep the seat in the rear, it just looks dumb without it. Never had any problems with mac exhaust in 10+ years either

Trying to turbo a 100% stock longblock thinking it would be "the cheap route", what a waste of 4 months. The car is N/A again, and I lost about $700

Other than that, I can't think of much. All my other regrets have spiraled from it ^.

Trying to turbo a 100% stock longblock thinking it would be "the cheap route", what a waste of 4 months. The car is N/A again, and I lost about $700

Other than that, I can't think of much. All my other regrets have spiraled from it ^.

Guess it is a good thing I changed my mind about a turbo then. I was going to do that late last year, but then went with a stroker instead.

Did you ever get your headers and get it back together?

Well, hell, you and I agree on something. 10 somethings as a matter of fact. :D

Removing my A/C was the single worst decision I ever made with my car. Hands down. Try driving to the office in the middle of summer with your "business casual" clothes on... :bs: Lower back sweat marks with a dress shirt, reeeeeal professional. And lets face it, who wants to drive the boring ass 4cyl DD on a beautiful summer day?

Also, I'm with the notion that rear seat delete cars look like crap. In a hatch, it looks like you've got a living room back there. You've got enough carpet space for a couch and a coffee table.

Dumbest thing I've ever done was put a remote start on my 5-speed car without a neutral safety. Yep, you guess it. Forgot I left it in reverse to remove my stereo. Hit the little button, heard tires screeching and then a loud boom. I walked outside to find my Mustang parked halfway inside my shed.

Also, I'm with the notion that rear seat delete cars look like crap. In a hatch, it looks like you've got a living room back there. You've got enough carpet space for a couch and a coffee table.

One day i need to pick up a tv for a friend (tube, back a few years),
Friggin thing wouldn't fit in my explorer because of the stereo, but fit in the back of my mustang with seat delete, lol. I had the room in the explorer, but it was too big to go in through the side door.