Tore off alittle bit of my front bumper, thoughts on new bumper? (pics)

Evenflow

yellow snow cone lover
Nov 4, 2004
Mass
View attachment 516866 View attachment 516868

Thats right, I was leaving a parking lot and someone yelled at me to stop. I must have chipped the front tooth against a curb or something. It doesnt look that bad from the pics, but when you look under the bumper its cracked really badly.

Ford services quoted me at $200 for the new part, $100 to paint it. Well, for $300 I could get a brand new bumper. If I go with an aftermarket bumper, the part where the two teeth are comes off right?

I was thinking maybe the Saleen bumper. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Remember with that new bumper, you have to get it painted as well ... so you may end up spending the same amount again or even more.

Personally, I would stick with the GT bumper so it's all true to what you have instead of slapping on another. Look into the future, I know when I get blown I'd prefer to have a stock looking vehicle no one would suspect ... or at least I don't want to be standing out in the crowd even for a possible break in.

So ... consider this:

Get the GT bumper, and have them fill in that indention on the front for the license plate so it's smooth all the way around.

If I were to screw up my front bumper somehow, that's what I would do. I've considered a 99 Cobra bumper as a second choice, but I guess I'm not one who likes to have a mutt of a car. ( I'll take my Mach 1 Grill Delete and Chin Spoiler and call it good.)

Well, I was planning to do the full Saleen kit later when I got blown anyways.

I was thinking maybe I could just drill some holes under there, and tie the two pieces that got torn off together through the two holes with some wire or something.

Maybe an 01 Cobra bumper w/ the Mach1 chin spoiler would look pretty good too? :shrug:

I dont know, if its going to cost around $300 (probably more) to get it painted and replaced then I dont see why to not go with an aftermarket piece?

I was planning on just doing the Mach1 chin spoiler until this happened :bang:
Still getting the grill delete though :D

It sucks, I know ... but sometimes you have to pay a price for your mistakes. :(

I totally understand the idea of ... since you're buying a new bumper ... I'd just stick to something OEM Ford. It'd be cool to see that license plate area filled in, plus I imagine you're doing this out of pocket instead of insurance.

Yep, I got nothing from insurance.

I need the license plate up front, so they wouldn't be able to fill it in.

Man..I was planning on ordering the spoiler/grill delete too. This had to happen :mad:

Could be worse.

One guy out here was at a car show, had his hood popped ... closed it but it didn't click all the way shut. He drove off fast to give someone a ride (turbo) the hood came up and smashed his windsheild.

Take about a double whammy! New hood and windshield.

Quick little search "cobra chin" nets a few results.

Here is one picture I found, the best part it's on a black car as well.

http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30018

Head over to bumpers.com, they have cheap Cobra bumpers which are painted ... but I don't know of their quality. I think 50resto has a Cobra bumper *kit*.

Also consider when you're getting a different bumper you're going to need different fog lights adding to the hidden costs involved. Just another reason to stick with GT/v6 bumper. :)

Sounds good, I might just hot glue it back together, and if that doesn't work ill cut it off.

Will it affect performance in any way if I cut it out? And what about rock salt and all that crap getting up there when I cut the lip piece off. I assume the lips are there for a reason.

buy a new bumper :D
IMAGE004.JPG