Torq Thrust specs?

bacarruda

Nov 3, 2019
CA
So I've got myself a neat little 89 mustang and I'm looking to buy some Torq Thrust II's for it. I've swapped the front with 95 spindles, and 98 v6 brakes. The rear is swapped to a pair of fox-length 5 lug axles with disc brakes. I'd assume I'd get 17x8's all around but I'm pretty new to buying rims and don't know what offset or backspacing to get. Any of y'all got any recommendations?

Right now the car is set up on some cheap ford rims I got off of a buddy with an S197.

Attachments

• IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Sponsors (?)

I am not up to date on my Foxbody backspacing, as I haven't owned on in 20 years. I believe AmericanMuscle seems to be the source for the most complete backspacing guide, as they sell a lot of rim and tire combinations. It is always possible to run wheel spacers as long as the wheel studs are long enough. It's not a bad idea to put longer wheel studs in while you have the axles out. 17"x8" rims with 245s should be a good combo.

Kurt

Easiest way to do it if you are set on 17x8 wheels.

Those are 05-07 17" Mustang GT wheels. They are also 17x8 The offset and BS is +45 with a 6.295" BS.

If you want to push the rear wheels out a bit (or the fronts), get a rim with less backspace. So if you wanted to come out 1/2" or so, you want a 17x8 wheel with a 5.75" backspace, which is similar to what 94-04 SN95 17x8 wheels are at. If you wanted to come out a full inch, you'd want something around 5.2" backspace.

The 05-07 wheels sit deep on the fox and SN95 cars, so you definitely want to get a wheel with a little less backspace to nudge it out a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Easiest way to do it if you are set on 17x8 wheels.

Those are 05-07 17" Mustang GT wheels. They are also 17x8 The offset and BS is +45 with a 6.295" BS.

If you want to push the rear wheels out a bit (or the fronts), get a rim with less backspace. So if you wanted to come out 1/2" or so, you want a 17x8 wheel with a 5.75" backspace, which is similar to what 94-04 SN95 17x8 wheels are at. If you wanted to come out a full inch, you'd want something around 5.2" backspace.

The 05-07 wheels sit deep on the fox and SN95 cars, so you definitely want to get a wheel with a little less backspace to nudge it out a bit.
Right on, I've been looking around american racing's site and I think I'm going to buy a pair of sn95 rims for the front, which come 17x8, +8mm offset, and 4.81" BS.
For the rear, the pair I'm hoping will work is 17x8, +25mm offset, and 5.48" BS.

You think that'll fit and look fine? I want to space out the rear wheels like you said and I'm not a fan of running spacers haha.