Torque Box Damage, how bad?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't drive the car, the only thing holding your control arm, spring, etc into place is the thin piece of metal around the outside of the control arm where the TQ box should be...

The place where it ripped out is part of the frame...

Damn I fabricate a lot of stuff and I am not even sure how I would attack this issue, it is very, very bad....and I can't imagine how much it is going to cost to have it fixed. The best choice is the SSM totally new adjustable TQ box assemble or another similar set-up.

Rick 91GT said:
Don't drive the car, the only thing holding your control arm, spring, etc into place is the thin piece of metal around the outside of the control arm where the TQ box should be...

The place where it ripped out is part of the frame...

Damn I fabricate a lot of stuff and I am not even sure how I would attack this issue, it is very, very bad....and I can't imagine how much it is going to cost to have it fixed. The best choice is the SSM totally new adjustable TQ box assemble or another similar set-up.

damn well that sucks.....I have a daily driver I never drive my stang since this happened. Do you have a link to SSM adjustable boxes? need to start figuring if its even worth spending hundreds of dollars on fixing this when I can just get a new stang later on.

Rumor has it, Lakewood/Mr.Gasket bought SSM, try contacting Lakewood tech direct to see what you can find out.

Give Robert V a call www.fasttrackperf.com I am sure he can help you, not sure how much it will cost but he does very good work, and is highly reccomended. He is located in Newhall, CA.

Your car appears to be in very good shape from the appearance, as long as everything is mechanically correct and the rest of the chassis is OK, I would fix it or have it fixed.

Rick 91GT said:
Rumor has it, Lakewood/Mr.Gasket bought SSM, try contacting Lakewood tech direct to see what you can find out.

Give Robert V a call www.fasttrackperf.com I am sure he can help you, not sure how much it will cost but he does very good work, and is highly reccomended. He is located in Newhall, CA.

Your car appears to be in very good shape from the appearance, as long as everything is mechanically correct and the rest of the chassis is OK, I would fix it or have it fixed.

sweet, thanks! :nice:

I could repair it for under $100.00.
All you need is some 3/8" steel and access to a welder and some cutting tools. The only real problem is finding the time.
I have everything including the time.
Needless to say i'll be doing my boxes in the near future!!!

Sorry about your situation but thanks for the pics/warnings.

ericinaz said:
All you need is some 3/8" steel and access to a welder and some cutting tools. The only real problem is finding the time.

well if i could get it to AZ i would LOL

ericinaz said:

Man you must work for nothing, that is a major job to build and fully replace the stock boxes, along with fixing the hole in the frame and making sure everything is square and true......

Rick 91GT said:
Man you must work for nothing, that is a major job to build and fully replace the stock boxes, along with fixing the hole in the frame and making sure everything is square and true......

We'll i enjoy fabricating and engineering repairs and improvements.
The $100 doesn't include compensation for my time. I don't mind helping out friends. I'm not lookin at this as an opportunity to make money.
I have friends that are the same way. We don't charge each other. The person only pays for pizza and parts. All our labor is free (for friends).

I'm starting to see a pattern here with the wear and tear on the foxbody Mustangs.

Seems to me torque box problems and A-pillar warpage are most severe on GT's rather than LX's, although LX's are not immune to these problems but it seems you can get there faster with a GT. I guess it has something to do with the weight at the front end of the car?

Myself, I have an LX and I checked my torque boxes out last night. Mine are there and pretty much rust free, however there is some "warpage" but I checked around the box looking at the welds and I have no tearing. Then again my engine is stock right down to the box air filter. I guess age and continued burnouts just weaken the metal and the welds and over time "fatigue" is just going to catch up to the car.

Have you ever noticed problems with the car's handling or any strange sounds like creeking or a knocking sound coming from the rear of the car whenever you made a turn or hit a bump on the road?

Sure putting a lots of HP on to the pavements,I bet you hook up real good. J/K
I have a set of Wild Ride LCA Battle Boxes welded in after I notice my torque box started to getting beat up after a lots of hard launchs and thats with a AOD car,I would bet a 5 speed will rip them up in no time at all with some 5000rpm launch.

Good luck and hope it don't get too expensive to get it repair.