Torque Converter ? T-bird not stang Please help

• Thread starter Deleted member 87397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87397

Hey all, I usually hang in the 5.0 section, but my brother's torque converter on his 97 T-bird just went and he's looking to upgrade. I figure since they are nearly the same motor as you 4.6'ers someone might be able to help. I was wondering, if anyone know what a good stall speed to would be to bump up to. I was thinking 2200 or 2500, but I don't want to tell him too high and have it run like crap. The engine is stock 2V 4.6 SOHC and the trans is either AOD-E or 4R70W. Sorry it's not Stang related, but I don't have time to join a bunch of other forums to ask the question. thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

You don't have to be a paying member to ask questions on TCCOA!

I would recommend to your brother to get a 3000 RPM stall TC. There is a group purchase going on them on TCCOA, I would recommend that your brother take part in that, it will cost you the $40.00 US membership fee, but it is well worth it.

If anybody put in a converter with a low stall such as 2800-3000rpm and their shifts went terribly soft then they got a terribly inefficient converter. Heck, the stock converter has the potential to stall at 2700rpm as stated in the Ford service disks. I have a 4000rpm stall converter that was properly built in a 98 Gt that only has 217rwhp and that didn't happen to me. I have the stock shift pressures setup in my tune too.
Its all in whether you get a quality built converter or not on how it will function for what you want and need. A lot of these companies will get you the stall at a huge cost to efficiency.
You do honestly get what you pay for in this case.
Darrin

DarrinB said:
If anybody put in a converter with a low stall such as 2800-3000rpm and their shifts went terribly soft then they got a terribly inefficient converter. Heck, the stock converter has the potential to stall at 2700rpm as stated in the Ford service disks. I have a 4000rpm stall converter that was properly built in a 98 Gt that only has 217rwhp and that didn't happen to me. I have the stock shift pressures setup in my tune too.
Its all in whether you get a quality built converter or not on how it will function for what you want and need. A lot of these companies will get you the stall at a huge cost to efficiency.
You do honestly get what you pay for in this case.
Darrin
Go ahead... tell us where to you got your efficient converter. Then tell us where to order one. :rolleyes:

propellerhead said:
Go ahead... tell us where to you got your efficient converter. Then tell us where to order one. :rolleyes:

I know who built Darrin's TC. Yes, that person is not currently doing any TC's, however contacting that person, he will guide you to CircleD Industries or another TC place that I don't have all the details on. Darrin knows a little more about that other place than I do.

That said, the person with the TBird who started this thread has the opportunity to go over to TCCOA and get a good TC.

Kilgore Trout said:
Gearbanger101 owns a T-Bird and is also a Ford technician. PM him this thread he will post up some help for sure.

Gearbanger101 will recommend a CircleD TC, he has one in his car. He would have liked to get one from where Darrin got his but couldn't due to that person not being capable of making them.

FWIW's I have a TBird as well as does DarrinB.

propellerhead said:
I can't tell you where to get one exactly like mine, but I can tell you where to get one just as efficient that the guy that built mine helped design. There are now 2 places that have something like that and one was just mentioned a few times. You can't go wrong there either.
Look, you could have gotten one when you got yours. Several of us tried to talk you into it. Please don't go rolling your eyes at me because I chose what I did and you chose to go another route. There is nothing wrong with that. To each his own. I am just stating some facts about what you said and what I know. Please tell me how a converter that has only a few hundred rpm stall over the stock piece can be that slushy? I can explain it if you want to know and will take the time to listen to what I have to say.
I like my converter. Just one of the great things about it was that I didn't have to do any tweaking of any shift pressures or anything at all in the tune to compensate for any issues created by the installation of it. Mine worked as it should have straight out of the box. You can ask anyone that has driven the car. Ken at Modular Depot would be a great place to start. He had it on his dyno and played with it for a while. He then asked if he could take it for a drive because it was so much different than the "others".
Everyone that drives it says the same thing. I just wish you had the chance to drive it so you could feel the difference for yourself. When choosing a converter, it isn't all about stall speed. We keep trying to tell people that. Next time they have a get together over at Ken's shop I will try to have the car there again so that more people can see what I am talking about. See if there is anyone near you with a converter from Circle D or built by Alan and see if they will let you drive it. You will just simply be amazed at the difference, tuned or not.
Darrin