Total noob thinking of switching to mustangs

Crazy Notchback

Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys. I been into european cars for awhile now and while they handle great, they just cant be made "fast" without spending a lot.

So as a weekend car im thinking of selling my current 88 BMW 635csi and jump into a mustang. My daily driver is a Audi A4 if that matters.

Heres the one im currently looking at.

For sale yellow 1991 mustang notchback 302 with cold air, Mac headers and Mac off road x pipe 1 chamber flowmasters with dumps gt40 heads e303 cam, steeda tri ax short trow shifter. It has m/t et sreet radials in the rear 265/55/16 air pump eliminator bracket a/c eliminator bracket 4 inch cowl hood and more I can't think of at the moment. The car is a texas car and I am the 3rd owner car has never seen snow or salt has only been in this state for a little over 2 years, very stong car and motor not sure of times never had it to the track yet should have close to 300hp from all bolt ons. Asking $4200 or best offer car needs to go very soon the to make room for new mustang.

I went to go look at it since its my buddys friend who is selling.

It needs work cosmetically since it was a repaint. It used to be red. The interior is pretty clean but theres no headunit. Would have to find one. Of course the front, trunk and rear bumper need painting.

The car drives like nothing im use to. It hauls major ass and basically made me **** my pants. Its kinda hard to drive since it feels like it wants to cut out at low RPMs. Im thinking its the cams that are doing this? :noob: The speedo also jumps around but i think thats a common problem? Otherwise the car seems fine and ran like a champ, even in -3 degree weather.

normal_DSC01646.JPG

normal_DSC01639.JPG

Im thinking of going back to look at it some more but figured i would ask you guys on what to look out for. Also how does the price sound, hes willing to work with me so no biggie. He has other mods that he didnt list but i forget them all. Hes emailing me the whole list later on.

Also with his mods, what you think it can do in the 1/4?

:SNSign:

Attachments

• normal_DSC01646.JPG
    normal_DSC01646.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 78
  • normal_DSC01639.JPG
    normal_DSC01639.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice starting point, get it!
Show up with $3800 and take it off his hands!
Low 13/hi 12 sec. car if driven well!
The cam will make it feel "sluggish" at low rpms, get 3.73's !

Id look into it. If hes willing to compromise, take the car to macco, get a quote, and tell him what ever half the price is, to take off the price of the car. So basically split the cost of the paint job. And paint it red again. Just from the add you can tell the owner knows something. And the car only has one cam.

1st off welcome to Stang-Net... 2nd Glad to hear your Willing To change Styles.. Mustangs are deffenitly the way to go, and you came to the Right place.. Car looks Good Other then paint, and what ever other mods you are going to put into it..

what i looked for when i bought my car 4 months ago, was Feel around the body for bondo, vision helps too. look at it real Good, Take a Magnet with you also, it wont Stick to bondo. so that if you find a spot, you can test it. Crawl under the car, Look for sitting oil, Rust Ect... also close the read-end, your gonna want to make sure the torque boxes arnt Rusted out, Or Split.. Look For welds under the hood, to see is a new front end was placed on after a wreck.. and the frame while you are under the car.. im sure there are other things, but i was a noob to buying mustangs and thats what these guys helped me to Do... Take it easy and enjoy your Stang, and Your Stay here At Stang-net...... My full-time job, and Home...

Well after being on this damn addicting forum for a few hours, it seems that this might be a decent deal afterall.

I didnt know notchbacks are harder to come by in good condition with no rust. Personally i didnt even consider looking at mustangs till i saw a notch up for sale then that perked my interest. Maybe because i dont see many of them...

Think it would be hard to get someone to trade hoods if i got this? Rather have the OEM one.

Also is it normal for the car to pop out of gear while driving it. The shifts were so short that i had issues keeping it in gear when getting on it. Think ill stop by his shop tomorrow and take some more pics for you guys. Under the car, under the hood, etc...

Oh one last thing, are there a lot of aftermarket parts for this car to make it handle well? Would like to do some track events with it (road course)

Think it would be hard to get someone to trade hoods if i got this? Rather have the OEM one.

Also is it normal for the car to pop out of gear while driving it. The shifts were so short that i had issues keeping it in gear when getting on it. Think ill stop by his shop tomorrow and take some more pics for you guys. Under the car, under the hood, etc...

Oh one last thing, are there a lot of aftermarket parts for this car to make it handle well? Would like to do some track events with it (road course)

If you wanna trade hoods i have a stock one out in my garage i'd glady trade lol.

And no that's not normal for it to pop out of gear, sounds like the tranny needs rebuilt. BUT you might also need to set the stops on the short throw shifter differently to fit yourself. I'd check into that, see if he might set them differently and let you drive it again.

There are TONS AND TONS of parts to make that car do just about anything you want. It's all in what you want it to do and how much you wanna spend.

To answer a few questions in your first post, yes it is normal for the car to buck and surge at low RPMS with an e303 cam. It's an "ok" cam but it is dated and there has been alot of ppl. i've read about over the years having that problem me included. Which is why i no longer have an e303 cam, switched cams problem fixed.

Also if the speedo is jumping around at lo it just needs a new cable most likely. Mine does it really bad, the cable is wornout it'll break sooner or later lol.

Welcome, you have a nice daily driver too! That notch could be killer with a little work. These cars are addicting, once you drive one you get hooked pretty fast. Torque is a wonderfull thing :D

If you want to check out the problem parts on the car, check the radiator support for rust, check the A-pillars since they tend to crack and rust in the corners. Check the rear suspension where the control arms attach to the body for some tearing. These things can all be fixed but would help reduce the price further more. Don't bother trying to reduce the price for a broken ashtray door or non-working electric door locks lol <- common problem with those cars.

Notchbacks are more rare than hatchbacks and are a little lighter and more solid in the rear too. Good find and welcome to the nut house :D

1) Welcome to :SNSign:

2) Take the stops out of the short throw shifter... That's why they pop out 99% of the time

3) Buy that notch!!!

4) Refreshments are in the lobby. Stay away from anything that smells funny cause some people think it's funny to pee in the noob's drink ;)

Welcome to :SNSign: This place has a lot of great guys and girls, and is a lot of fun. I love notches, and that one looks pretty clean other than the paint issue. Show him $3500 and drive it home, but bring $4k like mentioned just in case.

2) Take the stops out of the short throw shifter... That's why they pop out 99% of the time
Don't take the stops out completely, you can hurt the tranny when shifting hard without stops. Just adjust them properly. Turn them all the way out, then put the shifter in gear, turn the stop in until it barely touches, then back it off a couple turns. The tranny might also need a rebuild if the shifter stops aren't the problem.

More than fair price as long as it was originally a 5.0 car, not a 4 cyl convert.

If that car was in NJ, it would of already been purchased and someone else would be selling it for 6 grand.