Tough starting

Bill Kass

Jul 28, 2012
My 95 GT runs great once it starts. After sitting for the night it is very hard to start. It takes at least four or five times of cranking to get it to run. Seems that there is no gas in the injector rails when first started but will run fine for the remainder of the day once it's going.

Everything in the fuel system is new from the fuel pump to the injectors. Can not find any leaks in any line. The only thing I haven't found is maybe an external check valve to keep the fuel from draining back into the tank. I figured by changing the entire pump system inside the tank that would solve the problem. Nope, not yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

You might want to check your fuel pressure in the morning. There is a schraeder valve on the front passenger side of the fuel rail to check it. The fuel system pressurizes pretty quickly, and I don't think that is likely to be the culprit. The stock pump usually holds fuel pressure better than the aftermarket ones.

Kurt

Try turning the ignition on and off twice before cranking. Also, pull the vacuum line to the FPR. There should be no signs (visual or smell) of gas. If there is, the FPR diaphragm is leaking.