Tower Strut

• Sponsors (?)

Good question!

I was thinking of adding a two-point STB due to it being a much easier installation. Having to drill and tap the holes on the towers is bad enough, but adding the holes to the firewall is one major job.

This is quite unlike the late 90's Mustangs where, if they didn't come from the factory with the STB, they at least had all the holes pre-drilled and pre-tapped. I added a three-point STB to my '95, and it took about 15 minutes to do.

WaltA said:
Good question!

I was thinking of adding a two-point STB due to it being a much easier installation. Having to drill and tap the holes on the towers is bad enough, but adding the holes to the firewall is one major job.

This is quite unlike the late 90's Mustangs where, if they didn't come from the factory with the STB, they at least had all the holes pre-drilled and pre-tapped. I added a three-point STB to my '95, and it took about 15 minutes to do.

Please!!! it took me about an hour to install my 3points FRPP bar, that needs 8 holes drilled. adding 2pts bar that does not work because it is easier, is to me like saying not taking shower, because it takes time....
Drilling to fire wall is easy - as long as you take top cover off(black plastic thing that is right under wiper arm). it takes few min to drill hole there. it takes more time to look for right drill bit then drill hole.

Don't bother with 2points. do it right the first time, and go with frpp or steeda
3 points. just my 2Cents

mity2 said:
Please!!! it took me about an hour to install my 3points FRPP bar, that needs 8 holes drilled. adding 2pts bar that does not work because it is easier, is to me like saying not taking shower, because it takes time....
Drilling to fire wall is easy - as long as you take top cover off(black plastic thing that is right under wiper arm). it takes few min to drill hole there. it takes more time to look for right drill bit then drill hole.

Glad it work out so easy for you. However, your experience is quite different from all the other reports I have read about installing a STB. Those reports detailed just how difficult it was for them to drill and tap all the holes on just the towers. They claimed some other under-hood items got in the way.

They also mentioned it wasn't easy to remove that black plastic trim piece. Was there some trick you found out about that made it come out easier?

WaltA said:
They also mentioned it wasn't easy to remove that black plastic trim piece. Was there some trick you found out about that made it come out easier?

no. I just use my finger, and pull up the center part, then slowly work my way towrds side. few clips. nothing big deal. At least thats what I thought.
I can tell you tho. If you pull up too fast, on driver side where wiper stud hole is, might brake. If you pull too fast.

you mention some under hood part getting in the way. I did have to unclip the main harness that ran parallele to the firewall. It won't move if you just push on it, but undo the clip, then it'll move far enough. look at the pic. You can see big harness i'm talking about