Towing my 65 to GA

1965 Mustang 3 spd 200ci 6 cyl. Can I put her in neutral and tow her rear wheels on the ground? Or do I have to disconnect driveshaft. If course I do not want to if I have to...in case I have to use in an emergency. Tks

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a song title. As easy as it is to disconnect the driveshaft in an early one and as sloppy as many early mustang wore out shifters are I would consider disconnecting it, however if you feel like it is staying in neutral you should be ok connected.
War Eagle ?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a song title. As easy as it is to disconnect the driveshaft in an early one and as sloppy as many early mustang wore out shifters are I would consider disconnecting it, however if you feel like it is staying in neutral you should be ok connected.
War Eagle ?
Thankfully I did not have to worry about it. Towed it 20 miles to new owner in Lavonia, MI near Detroit. Something I will not soon forget? How towing a classic Mustang in near pristine condition will sometimes stop traffic as the Lookers pass to give thumbs up. Cool

I've tow dollyied a few pieces of early 'stang bodies through north Alabama and central Tennessee and gotten several looks and thumbs up. Usually you can tell if the passerby is sensitive to them or not. They usually stare or slow down to look. But the ones not affected just blow on by. The one that amazed most in recent time was a '66 coupe that I drove from summer of 2012 to summer 2013. Half tan, and half primer and just about everytime when pumping gas someone would comment about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would pull the drive shaft and insert a trany plug .
A friend on mine ,actually his uncle ,towed a Ranger pick up from Porterville to Sacramento ,that is around 200 miles ,had it in low gear ,because he just didnt check ,do i need to tell you what happened haha!

I've tow dollyied a few pieces of early 'stang bodies through north Alabama and central Tennessee and gotten several looks and thumbs up. Usually you can tell if the passerby is sensitive to them or not. They usually stare or slow down to look. But the ones not affected just blow on by. The one that amazed most in recent time was a '66 coupe that I drove from summer of 2012 to summer 2013. Half tan, and half primer and just about everytime when pumping gas someone would comment about it.
Driving my coupe to convertible home the other day and a man pulled beside me and motioned to roll the window down to ask me if I would sell her and how much. Lol

Nope...a mustang lover and enthusiast died of throat cancer a year ago and I guess I can say I was in the right place at the right time. I purchased the mustang and it is for sale and needs completed. It is a daily driver as is but only in fair weather. There is no working top. I have the top mechanism, and the fabric top, rear windshield etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20190731_101541953.jpg
    IMG_20190731_101541953.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20190708_123736011_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190708_123736011_HDR.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 99
I think so but I have no idea even what they are. Lol. I just know I will not be the one to complete this cars transition to a full convertible.

It is VERY stable going down the road and has been reinforced proper in the frame.

The most I will do is probably put the convertible hockey sticks and center boot trim on and maybe a snap kit for the boot. Maybe even fashion a foam insert under the boot that makes it look just like the convertible when it is down and make it suitable to support someone (parade) sitting in the middle back there. Then just drive it in fair weather until someone decided they have to have it. Lol

If you were a lot closer to me I would say drive it by the Shop and I would show you where the convertible inner rockers and front torque boxes are located. I am almost 5 hours north of Columbus GA where Dad grew up before AU then moved to north Alabama.
You may have seen Jim's (horse sence) thread of a coupe to convertible write up with pictures that show in very good detail the inner rockers and the torque boxes. I've been contemplating a coupe to roadster ( meaning no convertible top just looks like one) for parades and "Homecoming Queen" usage and only adding the additional rockers and torque boxes. Forgive me for hijacking your thread. Thanks

See
If you were a lot closer to me I would say drive it by the Shop and I would show you where the convertible inner rockers and front torque boxes are located. I am almost 5 hours north of Columbus GA where Dad grew up before AU then moved to north Alabama.
You may have seen Jim's (horse sence) thread of a coupe to convertible write up with pictures that show in very good detail the inner rockers and the torque boxes. I've been contemplating a coupe to roadster ( meaning no convertible top just looks like one) for parades and "Homecoming Queen" usage and only adding the additional rockers and torque boxes. Forgive me for hijacking your thread. Thanks
Then this car is for you. You can spin the tires and get sideways with it...just as stable as it needs to be. The other day I jacked it up and put it on jackstands....I had one side a bit low w the number of clicks...let it down slowly and no body twist at all...one stand was holding car up for moment. Why roadster and lose classic look and back seat. A fake parade convertible is what I have. Lol

Why roadster and lose classic look and back seat. A fake parade convertible is what I have. Lol
Roadster as in no top but still a 4 seater. We are talking about the same thing. However I may be using the term roadster incorrectly as it does refer to a two seater in normal terms. A fake parade convertible is what I will say from now on, LoL. Next time that you have it up in the air again click a couple of pics for me please.
I do have a '67 with the roof cut off that soon I need to purchase one of those 20x20 carports to get it out of the direct weather.

Last edited:
Roadster as in no top but still a 4 seater. We are talking about the same thing. However I may be using the term roadster incorrectly as it does refer to a two seater in normal terms. A fake parade convertible is what I will say from now on, LoL. Next time that you have it up in the air again click a couple of pics for me please.
I do have a '67 with the roof cut off that soon I need to purchase one of those 20x20 carports to get it out of the direct weather.

I will get you some.