Towing veterans..advice?

GT-350 69

Jan 20, 2001
New England
Hello,
I just got a open car trailer recently and I'm looking for advice on safe towing. It has 4 recessed D rings in each corner. I have 4 axle straps and 4 ratchet straps. Should that be enough? I was thinking of adding a D ring in the front center for a portable winch (if needed). I also installed equalizer bars to help level the load. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• P5120032.jpg
    P5120032.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Sponsors (?)

when i was racing, we always liked to use straps that went over the tires to strap the car down. we would back that up with axle straps as well. this way the car would still ride on its suspension, but was secured to the trailer. as for a winch, i personally would install an 8000lb electric winch, and mount it permanently rather than use a portable winch. you might find it more useful that way. if you are worried about someone stealing it, build a tool box that sits in front of the trailer bed, and mount the winch in the box, that way you can carry your straps, a jack, etc. and lock everything up. one thing if you dont already have one, get a front trailer jack that has a wheel at its foot as that will make it easier to move the trailer around, and make it easier to hook it up to the tow vehicle.

the wheel bonnets grabber linked to are what we used on the front, on the rear the slicks we used were as wide as what you would find on a top fuel dragster so we just ran a normal strap over them.

Pro Packs - Pro Pack with 40" Through-the-Wheel Straps (8 Foot)

Thanks for the advice. Have any of you seen cars towed with these through the wheel straps? I have 5 spokes that they can fit through and there would be no sharp edges to stress the straps like axle straps might encounter. Also they wouldnt require extra D rings. The tire bonnets do seem like a good way to go. The car would be tied down to the deck instead of pulled from the front and back.
Thanks again,
Tom

yes i have seen cars tied down with the pro packs, some as the only tie down, and some using them as back ups. as long as the straps have the required strength they are another way to go.