Toying with an idea, need someone to tell me I'm cra-cra.

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
I seem to have contracted an illness, and that illness involves the desire to drop a BBF in my ’86.

As a lot of you guys know, I’ve been wishy washy about what direction I want to take next with my car. I of course bought and sold a Mexican block 302 (somehow without losing money), then started to investigate a 351 swap, and actually went so far as to go to the junkyard with intentions of bringing one home, but didn’t.

Now I’m bitten with the BBF Fox swap bug.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me, because I know the BBF swap requires extensive engine bay modification, would undoubtedly result in horrible gas mileage, and would add 200 lbs to the nose of my car. Not to mention brake booster, hood, and radiator fan clearance issues.

But I can’t seem to get it out of my head.

This is what I’m thinking:
460, stock bottom end with good rod bolts to keep costs down but allow some RPM.
Lightly ported and milled stock heads, again to keep costs down so I can focus my moneys on conversion parts.
(9.5-10ish compression).
HR cam conversion, because I don’t tolerate flat tappet or anything that requires a lot of maintenance.
Comp cam, something not too crazy, maybe something around 220-230 @ .050 and .550” lift. I&E.
Carb intake converted to EFI, something not too tall. Maybe even a stock late model EFI truck intake, ported.
Run it with my A9L, Quarterhorse and factory harness. I believe the QH allows for changes in firing order.
Whatever bellhousing I need to keep a T5-style trans (LOL).
Tubular K-member to get it as low as possible.
And whatever I can do to take weight off it (aluminum heads would come in the future).

I figure, even if I fall short of 1 hp/ci, it would still make north of 400 HP and 500 ft-lbs, which would already be ridiculous on the street. Down the road I could put aluminum heads on it and easily bypass the 500 hp mark.

I know there are EASIER ways to make that power, but few of them as unique as a 460 in a Fox. I know it’s not exactly rare, but it’s not super common either, especially for anything destined for street duty. The majority of BBF Foxes I see are 100% track cars.

So am I totally insane? Discuss.

• Sponsors (?)

Can't think of anything positive to say about a 460 powered fox.

IMO, you gotta have a better reason other than unique to do it.
I surely wouldn't spend that kind of money just to say i had a 460.

Reactions: 1 users
Tony, who owns Tuner's Inc. in Florida, has a pink (yes pink) four eyed car with a BBF and nitrous. Street driven, and I think it ran some 8 second 1/4 mile, if I remember right. I don't recall the specs of the motor, but it was carbed. Pretty cool car, but, I just can't see it unless you are building a 600+HP, N/A, car. It just doesn't seem worth it when you can pull 500HP out of the windsor motor, and you already have some pretty good heads.

Joe

Your craziness seems familiar. I cant pick a direction either. Changed my mind on the 306, the 398 and a 302 I ditched as well. Ive thought about a big block, turbo sbf, efi conversion, you name it and I'm still in the same spot. the possibilities with these cars is what's fun for me and what drew me to them, so ill never knock an idea like that. Although it has its drawbacks, its kind of fun to plan it out in your head

If you really want cubic inches, a stroked 351 would be so much easier, lighter, and still make 4-500 hp without trying too hard. You could run your existing heads on a 351. I debated a long time on mine, between a 331/347, stroked 351, supercharged 302, and finally settled on a big bore 369. Looking back, probably should have went the supercharged route, but it's too late now. I'm still running the T-5, and it is bleeding fluid all over my exhaust, which I take is not a good sign....

I like it.
A tunnel ram lower with a fabricated aluminum box upper with the TB off the side like a 5.0 would be neat to see.
That is pretty crazy. ;)

What is even crazier is a 408 Cleveland with Trick Flow's new EFI intake and a pair of any one of the aluminum head choices.
Use your EFI 460 distributor and 5.0 computer to run it.
Alot cheaper to put a T5 based tranny on a SBF based bellhousing than a BBF based bellhousing.
Swap your SBF engine mounts, flywheel, clutch, starter, balancer, and many of your accessories right over. You need oil pan, headers, EFI 460 distributor, and the TF EFI intake.

The "Wow!" factor on a Cleveland will be right up there with a Lima, and far beyond a 5.0 (the other Cleveland), or Windsor. :stir:

my buddy and i are in the planning stages of a BBF for a 10.5 tire all motor combo. we have been talking to a lot of people and the right combination of off the shelf parts can be good for 5.50s on motor 1/8 mile (high 8s in the 1/4) in a 3000lb fox. appearantly 800hp is easy with a 500+ inch stroker and 650 is a cake walk with a mild 460. with aluminum heads its only about 150lbs more than a windsor. so about as much as an iron headed windsor with a turbo on it. appearantly they dont weigh as much as a lot of us think.

Vanilla, please. You be cray.

Seriously, don't. No matter how you slice it, a stock bottom end, stock headed 460 would NEVER be satifying, especially after making all the cuts and modifications. Say that you do go through with it and then aren't happy - you cut up your car for nothing then.

If you wanna do something nuts, put in a cummins 5.9 12 valve. THAT would be impressive. hehehe

I did it, exactly like you're planning. (Well except for the EFI conversion part)
Stock bottom end except for the quart coffee can sized heavy assed TRW L2404 dished pistons. Truck rods (because they have better rod bolts,...football head oval topped rod bolts, as opposed to the straight cut, standard ones)
A comp flat tappet cam (like 590 lift w/ a 250 actual duration at .050)
A Weiand Stealth intake w/ a Holley 3310 carb, W/ stock cast iron :banana:THUNDER JET :banana: (C9AE castings off of 69 429) hand ported heads . As opposed to the more desirable Cobra jet D0OE or D0Ve heads.

Junk converter, Owner built C-4, 4.11rear gears in a 31 splined 8.8 that I drove in to the drag strip on Pump premium, beat the snot out of, and drove home, every Saturday night, all summer long back in 95.

Why would you do that?
7.05 on the motor in the 1/8th, 6. 50 on a 125 shot,...6.37 on a staged second 125 shot,...6.22 when you sprayed em both at the same time. Keep in mind that I'm talking 466,...not a stroked combo, w/a carb, flat tappet little cam (for that motor) stock cast iron passenger car heads, w/ power shot plate(s) stacked on a Weiand stealth. (Talk about red neck)

Even Yoda had to start learning somewhere.

Probably had 10,000 miles on junk stuff and 100 HARD passes at the track on it when I rattled the engine too bad spraying both kits, at the same time (I'll admit to not knowing Jack about mixing too much nitrous, waaay too much timing, and not enough octane back then)

But,.....the short block that I had to replace because I split a cylinder? Uhhhh $600.00, machined.

There are no modifications required other than mounts and swap headers,...admittedly, it'll corner like a steamship and will feel like you went back to the all you can eat buffet one time too many,............but when you swat the throttle w/ a pair of really sticky tires at the track and the front tires leave the earth,..........even w/ all that weight.....:D

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say no to the big block if you are going to keep it mild and around 5-600 hp.

You already have cylinder heads that would be right at home on a nice litte 357w, put a good manifold with a 4150 TB, and make 500hp easy, with less weight on the nose.

Also, the fact that you want to use a T-5 behind a 460 just tells me this is a crack driven pipe dream lol

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ what he said...
ive thought about it before and i keep coming back to it being nose heavy as :leghump:!

i think you need a 440" windsor with a set of SC1's running around 14:1 shifting at 9500

Other than to be able to say I have BBF under the hood, I don't see the benefit. 30 years ago that was the way to go for a street car, but with all of the better choices available today, the 460 is the wrong way to go.

If you wanted to have something unique and streetable, swap in a 3v or 4v late model motor.

a very basic stroker bbf in a 3000lb fox is capable of high 8s in the 1/4 mile on motor. if you want to go that fast without a power adder the big block is a good option. but if your goals are mid 9s or less a small block is more than capable.