TPMS Training Tool works :)

stumpjumperpro

Jan 5, 2008
I went by the dealer today and picked up one of the TPMS training tools (8C2Z-1A203-A). It's not really a tool, looks like a gray key fob. From what I read there were some things to do to make it get rid of the TPMS light on the dash. Nope, light was off before I got home and it was still on the plastic :) I took it out of the plastic and tossed it in the console. I wish I had got it first, I wasted $5 making the "Pipe Bomb" for the sensors. It was sitting here at home and not in the car.

FYI, I bought 3-piece DCR wheels so the sensors could not be used, the tires would not go on with them there.

No sensors and no light, woo hoo.

• Sponsors (?)

So wait a minute. I thought the training tool was for training new sensors? You're saying that you purchased this tool, and just by it being in the car, it turns the alerts off, even though you don't have sensors in your wheels?

What I gather is the tool is used if you add a new set of wheels/tires with new sensors (or reusing your old sensors). It programs the smart junction box to accept the transmitter ID of the new/reused sensors...which saves a trip to the dealer just to reprogram the sensors.

Well that's how I understood it. But he's saying just having the tool in his car is turning off the indicator, from how I read it. (At the end he says no sensors, no light).

Dark your understanding of how things should work is correct. The fob being present in the car is not capable of fixing the light. The sensors talk to the tpms controller via RF signal, the fob doesn't throw off a continual reading. So it's not possible.

I have the ford pdf on how the signal is sent and received, the light being off is a fluke, let me dig it up for posting..

Well, I can't explain it either. I have driven the car 3-4 days a week for the last 3-4 weeks with no sensors and the light has been on every day. I get the tool, it is in the car and light goes off, no sensors in the wheels.

:shrug: who knows if it is a fluke, but didn't happen until 10 minutes after the tool was in the car.

Well, I can't explain it either. I have driven the car 3-4 days a week for the last 3-4 weeks with no sensors and the light has been on every day. I get the tool, it is in the car and light goes off, no sensors in the wheels.

:shrug: who knows if it is a fluke, but didn't happen until 10 minutes after the tool was in the car.

Do us a favor and try removing it, see if the light immediately returns..

Update:
As I was pretty much called a liar over at allfordmustangs.com, Just to prove that I was not lying, I just drove the car a few miles down the road and back. Light is back on now. The only thing I can think of to explain the fluke would be that I parked beside a friends 08GT at the dealer I picked up the tool from. Maybe somehow (or not) the computer and the tool thought his sensors were mine. Sounds far-fetched, but may be possible. Guess it's back to the pipe bomb to see if that works.

I bought the same tool. I got it for 14 bucks from my dealer, though my account. It only resets the light when a sensor is replaced... or for some newer Ford models, when the tires are rotated. This tool comes with every 08 and newer E series vans.

TPMS Messages

I bought a second set of rims and winter tires for those few nice days we can get our cars out here between October and May :( and didn't bother putting sensors in them at all. Some days I get a TPMS warning - other days I don't. When I do, I press the reset and it goes away. Sometimes it comes back when I restart the car and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure any rhyme or reason to it so I just ignore it and use the reset when necessary. Summer tires (with TPMS sensors) go back on next weekend. On a similar vein, I took the overhead console out so a buddy could mill a slot in the front for my radar detector remote. I've driven it for three days with no message then today I got a message to check the security system (the overhead console has the motion and tilt detectors).