TPMS

Malecoda

Feb 3, 2009
Freehold NJ
Hey everyone, so a few days ago i wrecked my stock wheels. Someone stopped short causing me to go up on the grass and blew 2 tires and bent both rims on the right side. Luckily there was no body damage, scratches or frame damage. Which also brings me to say NewTakeOff was a life saver, ordered 17" bullitts with tires and had it at my door in 3 days.
My main question tho is, this wheel/tire package didnt come with TPMS. I plan on having it swapped out of my old wheels and put on these new ones as soon as i can. Was wondering tho if in the mean time this will effect anything besides my car thinking my air pressure is low? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting. The sensors go into a sleep state when the car is not moving for a while. Once the car moves and the sensors rotate with the tire, they wake up.
I wonder if just the jarring in the trunk is enough to wake them up.
Also they are suppose to go off for low or high pressure, I would think 50 psi would make them go off.

Hey everyone, so a few days ago i wrecked my stock wheels. Someone stopped short causing me to go up on the grass and blew 2 tires and bent both rims on the right side. Luckily there was no body damage, scratches or frame damage. Which also brings me to say NewTakeOff was a life saver, ordered 17" bullitts with tires and had it at my door in 3 days.
My main question tho is, this wheel/tire package didnt come with TPMS. I plan on having it swapped out of my old wheels and put on these new ones as soon as i can. Was wondering tho if in the mean time this will effect anything besides my car thinking my air pressure is low? :shrug:

First of all, ouch sorry to hear. If you haven't already found out, you might want to transfer your original TPMs onto your new wheels otherwise your dash will display a pesky "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault." Oh, and another thing, the TPMs are held by bands that are tack riveted so you have to break the bands off the original wheels, then buy new bands to install the TPMs onto your new wheels. Lots of fix and mix.

Interesting. The sensors go into a sleep state when the car is not moving for a while. Once the car moves and the sensors rotate with the tire, they wake up.
I wonder if just the jarring in the trunk is enough to wake them up.
Also they are suppose to go off for low or high pressure, I would think 50 psi would make them go off.

Once you put them in the spare tire your problems will be over. The sensors only sense wether or not the opposite tire is spinning slower than the other. If one tire is spinning slower than the other on the opposite side, then one tire must be flat. That's all there is to it, so by putting them in the trunk inside the spare, you have fixed everything.

I believe that Ford uses direct monitoring TPMS which only monitors the tire pressure unlike the indirect method that measures the tire rotation speeds.

Throwing all 4 into the spare tire has nothing to do with rotation and everything to do with the fact they're sitting in a pressurized environment.

Once you put them in the spare tire your problems will be over. The sensors only sense wether or not the opposite tire is spinning slower than the other. If one tire is spinning slower than the other on the opposite side, then one tire must be flat. That's all there is to it, so by putting them in the trunk inside the spare, you have fixed everything.

correct about putting them in the spare fixing the problem. but your method couldn't be farther from the truth. ford uses the direct monitoring method as stated above on the newer mustangs. some models used the indirect method, iirc the windstars were one for a few years.

o and i sell plenty of sensors and bands to tire shops and even the techs at my dealer sometimes because they break them on a regular basis. the real nice thing about some other ford models and a lot of other car companies is they use the valve style to the tire buster can see that (s)he has to watch out when dismounting.