TR 3650 Transmission dain plug question

Jeremy Martin

Oct 26, 2017
Today I was changing out my transmission fluid and when I went to put the plug back in I felt like I could have just kept turning the plug until it was flush with the transmission case. I didnt but it felt like I could if I wanted to as there was very little resistance to tightening it. I just tightened it down until I felt some resistance but nothing really felt like it was keeping me from just keep turning.

My question is two part:

1. Could this be overtightened? Meaning what could happen if it were tightened all the way flush?

2. Is where this plug is currently threaded in the picture correct? (should it be backed out more or tightened more?)

This plug, unlike an oil drain plug where if you over tighten you strip things due to it having a head, seems like its just a threaded plug that could screw all the way in there if I wanted it to.

I apologize for the stupid questions but this is my first time changing fluid out in a transmission so I felt its better to ask others than to wonder.

The plug threads are wet still from where I changed it. Theres nothing leaking down on the ground or anything.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Sponsors (?)

I would put a little Teflon tape around it and thread it in a little further than the pictures currently show. Not flush with the case but maybe any eighth of an inch hanging out. Not an exact science. The whole plug is threaded so if you force it, it will go in until it hits something. Don't do that.

Reactions: 1 user