tr3650 swap help

atrainsgt

Sep 26, 2008
First off I'm new to the forum, and yes, I used the search feature first! :D I found a tr3650 out of a '03 mach 1 that I'm interested in swapping into my 1998 gt to replace my worn out t45, and I wondered what it takes to swap one in? I already have an extended range speedcal so that should take care of the electronic speedo correct? I have a feeling the mount will need a little work as well. What about the flywheel, and clutch? Let me know guys thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC, it will bolt in. You already have the ER speedcal, so you should be good to go! The shifters are different between the T45 & the 3650, so if you don't have a shifter, you can't use your old one.

I have another question. Will a factory 03 cobra clutch assembly work with this tr3650 transmission and my '98 2v engine with stock flywheel? I think I need a 6 bolt 11 inch flywheel, is this correct? Thanks

I just did this swap into a 2000 and its seemless. no surprises. If all you're changing is the tranny, the input shaft is the same so I don't think you need to change up your clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel...

It's still the same crankshaft - so it's still the same flywheel.

Thanks for the heads up snidehockey. I should be installing the trans in a couple weeks and I will post the details of the install on here. I might even take a few pictures!

Well I'm about done with the swap, the transmission crossmember needed quite a lot of modification to make it work but Its fine now. So far that has been the only problem. I was going to finish up the install today but I needed to get my flywheel resurfaced and I couldn't get that done over the weekend. Hopefully I will be able to get my flywheel resurfaced and my starter rebuilt tomorrow and finish up the install by Wednesday. I will have some pics hopefully tomorrow.

I guess the crossmember on a 98 is different than in a 2000. I had a t45 as well but no modding of the crossmember was necessary. Glad ya got it figured out!

Do you have a picture of your crossmember? I bet you had a Tremec t45, I had a Borg Warner t45, the case might be different between the two. I'm trying to figure out if the 99+ crossmember will bolt up to my car, I don't think it will but I won't know until I find a picture of one. I will have to do some welding on my old crossmember if the new one will not bolt up because its quite a bit weaker now than it was before I had to modify it. I think it would be fine like it is but I don't want to push my luck.

Yeah I had a Tremec t45. I didn't know that another manufacturer made the sn95 trannys.

as for the cross member I don't have pictures of it out :/ I have pictures of the t45 sitting next to the 3650...no crossmember though.

I know this was a while ago, did you have any problems with the speedometer. The t45 has a mechanical speed sensor while the tr3650 has an electrical one?
I swapped a 3650 into my old 96GT that had a T45. I had a speedometer recalibrator installed because the gear would chew up. I'm tring to remember all the details behind it. It's ben a while.