TR3650 / T45 Differences

[BlackDiamond]

Sep 19, 2005
Hey Guys,

I really need some help here.

About a year ago, I did a full engine swap on my car, it used to be a V6, and I got a 4.6 in there now. The 4.6 came from a 1999 car, but the transmission and rear end came from a 2001 car.

I was told from the beginning that the tranny is a TR3650, but recently, I purchased a Steeda Tri-Ax for the TR3650 and installed it in my car.

I noticed first of all that the tranny has the little white cup in the shifter hole, and not the black spider-like attachment. This gave me a slight thought that maybe it is a T45.

Anyways, installed the shifter, it went in fine.. drove the car just fine. One day, pushing it a bit harder, the shifter came OFF the transmission hole. I thought this was caused by badly adjusted stop bolts.

But now, thinking further, maybe my car has a T45?! How the heck can I find out by just looking at the tranny?

I know Ford changed from T45's to TR3650's right in the middle of the production year, so this is why I'm confused.

HELPPPPP!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

It works just fine, that's my main problem. It's just that it popped out a couple of times since I had it in. So I'm not sure if it was simply due to the fact that the stops were set too far off, or it's because the tranny is NOT a 3650.

I cant even try the reverse thing right now, car is covered under a foot of snow.

They are two different transmissions.

If you bought a shifter for a 3650, and it bolted on, then it is a 3650. If it was a t-45, then the shifter wouldn't even fit period. The shifter for the t-45 is the same as the old t-5 shifter.

Other than being both made by tremec, none of the parts are interchangable between the two.

If your shifter came off the hole, were the bolts the correct size?

heres a real quick way. go drive the car and while moving forward at whatever speed push the clutch in and try to put it in reverse. if it grinds its a t-45 with no syncro, if it doesnt grind you have the 3650

The t-45 has a synchronized reverse gear.

Mustangs started getting a synchroed reverse back in 1992 starting with the t-5.

http://www.drivetrain.com/fordcarT45.html

I think he has T-45 because few thread ago, he show us how to put on revert without grind. So I think its grind in revert on his car. He must have T-45

you can put in 4 then revert, you can put on any gear before, put on revert ( diffrerent people have different way, myself I like put on 4 then revert ), some people put on first before revert just because they want line up the gear to go back when its start.

Ok, the drain plug is on the side, but towards the bottom of the tranny. Does it mean its a TR3650?

And Mustang5L5, about the shifter, that doesnt make sense. I've heard that the TR3650 shifter is identical to the T45 one, but shorter. Therefore, if you put a TR3650 shifter in a T45, it will fit, but it POPS out of the hole because its shorter. And this is exactly what has happened to mine.

Of course, putting a T45 shifter in a TR3650 wont work at all, because the T45 shifter would be too long, thus not allowing you to bolt it on. But my problem is the reverse of this.

I created another thread in the hope that one of you guys can read to me the numbers in your stock shifter, maybe that way I can identify it.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

whys that? they used basically the same trans for 20+ years. doesnt the new edge v6 have the t-5?

20 years?? We talking about the t-5 or the t-45??

The t-5 is still used in the new V6. I happen to like the trans. Simple to work on, shifts awesome and had some strenght issues but been worked out for the newer V6

The t-45 came out in 1996 and was killed off in 2001. No aftermarket version made and only used in the Mustang :(

Ok, the drain plug is on the side, but towards the bottom of the tranny. Does it mean its a TR3650?

And Mustang5L5, about the shifter, that doesnt make sense. I've heard that the TR3650 shifter is identical to the T45 one, but shorter. Therefore, if you put a TR3650 shifter in a T45, it will fit, but it POPS out of the hole because its shorter. And this is exactly what has happened to mine.

Of course, putting a T45 shifter in a TR3650 wont work at all, because the T45 shifter would be too long, thus not allowing you to bolt it on. But my problem is the reverse of this.

I created another thread in the hope that one of you guys can read to me the numbers in your stock shifter, maybe that way I can identify it.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Ah, when you said the shifter popped out, i thought you meant the whole thing came off.

I just measured two shifters. The stock 3650 shifter from my car and the stock t-45/t-5 shifter from my 5.0

3650 = 1.2" from base to pivot ball

t-5/t-45 = 1.5" from base to pivot.

SO the t-45 shifter is longer...noticably longer. I guess all you need to do is compare the stock shifter you took off to the MGW shifter you bought.

BTW, 2001 was a mixed year. Early cars had the t-45, later cars the 3650.

Also BTW, the drain plug on the 3650 points straight down to the ground. Not on side at all. Sounds like you have a t-45

20 years?? We talking about the t-5 or the t-45??

The t-5 is still used in the new V6. I happen to like the trans. Simple to work on, shifts awesome and had some strenght issues but been worked out for the newer V6

The t-45 came out in 1996 and was killed off in 2001. No aftermarket version made and only used in the Mustang :(

the t-5. i was under the impression they were the same design, kinda like the sn-95 being on the fox platform. ha, the 3650 has it beat already, aside from the shifter linkage and hydraulic clutch on the s197 being different.