Track update!!! E.T.#

svegt

Nov 27, 2003
Houston, TX
Well guys as you all had read in my last post the car made 346hp/338trq last time at the dyno with the new A9l pcm!!! and cleaning up of the 75mm elbow!!

well friday was the first day the track was open for the newyear so decide to see if i could get my 11's all motor!!! got there and let the car cool off for about 20min last time out i ran a [email protected] with 1.76 60ft!!!

so then decide to make my first pass got in the staging lanes and someone broke so sat there for about 25min before i could make my first pass!! i was really anxious.

so heated up the drag radials and staged the car!! left pretty good 1.74 60ft grab second decent and then tried to hit third gear but when i did that my hand slipped off the shifter and hit the dash and missed the gear got back in it as fast as i could and ran 12.54!!! lol!!!

so next passed had the rpm launch around 5000rpm and left really well got a 1.730 60ft and ran a new best [email protected] was really stoked about the mph so i new it could run an 11' that night just need to get the 60ft down in the 1.60's

so third pass did exactly as the second one but when i left it bogged out the hole and ran a 12.39@111 i knew if i could leave really good it would run a lowlow 12's or sneak in a 11'9XX!! on the launches i would leave around 5000rpms but would not dump the clutch just ride it out really fast
but felt almost like i could get away with almost dumping it could 60ft better!!!!

so decide the fourth pass i was going to raise the rpm launch a little higher 500rpms to see if i could get a 1.6X 60ft on motor!! brought them up around 5500rpms and let her rip!!!! we'll she lunged forward and then a loud BANG!!!

went a little past the 60ft!!!! We'll after 218,566 miles of daily driving and hundreds of launches at the track!!!! the left rear stock axle decide to go into retirement for good!!!!!!!! so didn't get my 11's i was hoping for but now i am going to upgrade and stick some 4.10s and see where that gets me!!!

here are the timeslips for the only three passes!!!

hpim2541.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome times! I think you will pick up a lot more too with the 4.10's based on your combo. That sucks about the axles, but they gave up for the greater good anyway. :) I REALLY dislike Strange's SS axles (I bent a set as did my dad and my friend Mike), and I'm not too fond of Moser's either. I and others have had a lot of luck with superior axles. I've had them in my car now for ~3yrs and I have never had a problem... the strange bent on the first time out at the track. Superiors also come with a 5yr warrenty which is one of if not the highest rating in the industry.

I got mine from Summit. They came with axle bearing, wheel studs, and the axles for ~$200-$250.

From looking at your most recent dyno graph there is no doubt that 4.10's are going to greatly improve your track numbers.

hpim2450.jpg

Assuming your tire height to be 26" right now with 3.73's and ~114mph trap speeds you are crossing right at or very near to 5500 which is below your peak (though it is hard to determine exactly at what RPM you peak at with your dyno graph), a swap to 4.10's with a 26" high tire will have you crossing at ~6100rpms at 114mph, but I expect you will gain a few MPH and complete the pass a little higher in the rpm range. Its not a problem though as you are still making good power out at 6300 and with 4.10's and a 26" high tire you'll be at ~6350 at 120mph trap speeds so its not too much gear for you either. Good luck!

Killercanary said:
I got mine from Summit. They came with axle bearing, wheel studs, and the axles for ~$200-$250.

From looking at your most recent dyno graph there is no doubt that 4.10's are going to greatly improve your track numbers.

hpim2450.jpg

Assuming your tire height to be 26" right now with 3.73's and ~114mph trap speeds you are crossing right at or very near to 5500 which is below your peak (though it is hard to determine exactly at what RPM you peak at with your dyno graph), a swap to 4.10's with a 26" high tire will have you crossing at ~6100rpms at 114mph, but I expect you will gain a few MPH and complete the pass a little higher in the rpm range. Its not a problem though as you are still making good power out at 6300 and with 4.10's and a 26" high tire you'll be at ~6350 at 120mph trap speeds so its not too much gear for you either. Good luck!

cool man!!! thanks for the info!!! yeah right now on the stock tach its around 5700/5800 rpms going throught the traps but it might be a bit off!!!

i have to disagree with the moser thing. ive got the moser 33 spline kit with c-clip elim and race spool as do about 8 other people at the shop i hang out at with no problems whatsoever. 3 of the guys run mid-high 9's. also my mosers have a 10 yr warranty. it might depend on the type of axle you get too as mine are pretty much meant for full dragstrip duty, i dont know how the stock replacements are. i payed $575 for the kit so i guess the more you pay the better the quality lol. i do think its money well spent when i can dump the clutch at 5k and not have to worry about hearing that famous little *ping* when the axles decide to go south.

svegt, you got anything done to your suspension? ive pulled 1.72 60's on my et street radials with stock suspension and bad wheelhop so i should be dipping into low 1.6's now. its all in the practice too bro to see what is just right for your car. i agree with the comments on the 4.10's.

eric

silverstangman said:
i have to disagree with the moser thing. ive got the moser 33 spline kit with c-clip elim and race spool as do about 8 other people at the shop i hang out at with no problems whatsoever.

i havent seen a c clip eliminator for anything past a 93
(none for cars without drum brakes)

PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!!!

yeah they make em for cars with disc brakes, moser is one of the few if only that makes em that ive seen. that kit is like $609 retail though which is a bit pricey but like i said they carry a 10 yr warranty so its worth it. oh by the way its a bitch to put em on though, lot of grinding, lot, lot lot of grinding.

silverstangman said:
yeah they make em for cars with disc brakes, moser is one of the few if only that makes em that ive seen. that kit is like $609 retail though which is a bit pricey but like i said they carry a 10 yr warranty so its worth it. oh by the way its a bitch to put em on though, lot of grinding, lot, lot lot of grinding.

sweet thanks for the info....might be something to look into

got mine from holcombmotorsports.com but keep in mind like i said its alot of work, gotta cut the axle tubes 1/4" and grind the crap out of that backing plate behind the rotors. also its longer wheel studs so u will need new lugnuts. oh yeah holcombs website sucks so call em if you are serious. they are about 3 hours from me and are a great place to get anything you need.

Here's one of the many reason I do not like mosers personally. View the thread and the video, I was at the track and witnessed this with my own eyes. I do know people that run them, but I've heard far too many horror stories for me to take a chance and run them.

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29590

There are HUGE differences between "drag" axles and "street" axles. Driving race axles on the street can lead to premature failure of the axle as they can crack/become brittle as they do not give like an axle sdesigned for the street. Its a give and take situation as to finding the axle that's right for you.

When I did my rear end Mark Williams was the only place that offered a C clip eliminator for the 94-up cars but it too was big money, its nice to know there is another option now. One thing to remember is that disc brakes kind of act as a C clip eliminator in the event of a failure and will prevent the axle from exiting the rear end.

yeah i also welded the axle tubes so they don't launch out, it is true about the disc brakes but anything can happen. well since i have put a little over 1,000 miles on my car in the past year i decided they would be alright for my purposes, the car isn't my daily driver so I think it will be alright. as far as the video i kinda want to say it is a fluke that can't really be blamed on the brand of axles there has to be some other factor in that happening. also 600 rwhp on drag radials is nuts and considerably more power than i will probably ever be putting to my rearend. i understand what you are saying dont get me wrong, but i dont feel like that just because it was a moser kit that that couldn't have happened with any brand.