Traction bar removal

90sblue

Aug 11, 2019
Jersey
I recently purchased my first Mustang, it's also the first car I'm planning to do any real work on myself. The first thing on my mind is removing the traction bars installed by a previous owner (he called them drag bars, not sure what the convention around here is). I don't see myself pushing the vehicle the way the previous owner had and I'm interested in getting a little more clearance under the vehicle, I've already had it scrape a buddy's driveway.

Any comments on how difficult of a job this is? Anything I should look out for as I try to remove them? Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies - here's some pictures to clarify... looks like they are independent of the control arm

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Those look like late 80s Lakewood traction bars. I have some similar to that. Removal is easy.

Take the actual bar off, ie, take out the bolts at the axle and where the link bolts on. Then take off the bolt at the front. You should be able to reach a wrench into the boxed area above the loop piece and remove it.

The bracket at the axle will require removing the bolt that holds the lower control arm to the axle brackets, removing the traction bar bracket and reinstalling it. This takes two jacks and a stand or two stands and a jack. Put a stand under the frame part in front of the front lower arm mount. Then put a stand under the axle. Then put the jack under the back of the lower arm hold the control arm up so the spring does not push the lower arm out or come loose when you remove the bolt. This should be done carefully. You don't need a spring compressor, but it may help to take the spring pressure off the arm. Take off the clamp around the axle housing and put the lower arm bolt back in. This will require jacking the rear arm back up to the axle and it can be somewhat of a pita to line everything back up. Do one side at a time.

Should take 3-4 hrs max.

I would hold on to them or sell them, they work quite well at the track.

Reactions: 1 user