Traction Control off

• Sponsors (?)

As a matter of fact I forgot to mention that I hate trac control so much that I pulled out my ABS/trac conrol fuses so now I have neither. But at least now I can lock my wheels while braking. Well...Not right now since my brakes are worn.

If you start to spin with the TC on, it will bog and apply the brakes to the spinning tire - anything is better than that when you're trying to accelerate... I hit the button out of habit when I start the car.

GT2000JAY said:
If you start to spin with the TC on, it will bog and apply the brakes to the spinning tire - anything is better than that when you're trying to accelerate... I hit the button out of habit when I start the car.
TC doesn't actually hit the brake but you're right; it most def decelerates. And true, nothing's worse when going into a spin & not having the control to get out of it. I use to do that too man about hitting the button out of habit.

downsouthman1 said:
TC doesn't actually hit the brake but you're right; it most def decelerates. And true, nothing's worse when going into a spin & not having the control to get out of it. I use to do that too man about hitting the button out of habit.

I found this in a search of various websites on the 99+ Mustangs:

Not only can the new traction control system reduce fuel flow, it can cut off certain engine cylinders completely until suitable traction is regained. A "Power Start" feature allows the driver to obtain more wheelspin during startup - though why a reasonable person would need to do so, outside of a race course, is something of a mystery. For a more direct approach, the traction control can simply be switched off.

When wheel spin is detected the system will automatically apply brake pressure to the offending wheel stopping it from spinning.Engine torque is also reduced by the PCM by cutting fuel and ignition to one or more cylinders.

Just to get to the bottom of it, here is my question: Doesn't the TC use the same sensors the ABS system does? Measuring number of rotations at each wheel and compensating? Also, if the brakes don't apply why do the new Mustangs have a traction control unit built into the brake lines (near the radiator - it's where I tapped my linelock into the system :D ).

Not trying to debate, just really curious exactly how the system operates now that we've opened the subject.

Thanks,

Jay

downsouthman1 said:
You can buy a kit that remembers the TC setting. Like if you turn it off, it's always off when you start your car unless you turn it back on. Then it's always on until you turn it back off.

JonJon said:
You can buy a kit that remembers the TC setting. Like if you turn it off, it's always off when you start your car unless you turn it back on. Then it's always on until you turn it back off.

Yeah i thought bout buying that from ponyexpressperformance.com, only 50 bucks i think there. I've read in the past that at speeds below 35mph or somewhere around there the brakes can be applied by the system was well as fuel and spark reduction. Above 35, no brakes are applied.

GT2000JAY said:
I found this in a search of various websites on the 99+ Mustangs:

Just to get to the bottom of it, here is my question: Doesn't the TC use the same sensors the ABS system does? Measuring number of rotations at each wheel and compensating? Also, if the brakes don't apply why do the new Mustangs have a traction control unit built into the brake lines (near the radiator - it's where I tapped my linelock into the system :D ).

Not trying to debate, just really curious exactly how the system operates now that we've opened the subject.

Thanks,

Jay

Those two quotes seem to contradict themselves. As far as I know, there are two types of traction control. One, the least desirable of the two, applies brakes to spinning wheels to keep traction. The other kind reduces engine power through whatever means, I know some that have throttle by wire close the throttle blades slightly. The kind that uses brakes can wear them out fairly quickly if you like to leave a stop in a hurry.

FallenPhoenix said:
Those two quotes seem to contradict themselves. As far as I know, there are two types of traction control. One, the least desirable of the two, applies brakes to spinning wheels to keep traction. The other kind reduces engine power through whatever means, I know some that have throttle by wire close the throttle blades slightly. The kind that uses brakes can wear them out fairly quickly if you like to leave a stop in a hurry.

You're right, they do contradict each - that's why I posted them. Trying to get some clarification on how the system actually works. :nice:

The powerstart feature is pretty cool though. I was having a bad day today, and I had to get on the freeway onramp in downtown, except I was in the far left lane w/the onramp on the far right right after the intersection. I was the first car so I had to quickly dart in front of everyone and switch lanes, well I kinda slipped the clutch and my tires spun..but once it gripped I immediately passed everyone and got onto the freeway. Later on I realized trac was on, but I guess that was the powerstart feature.

NFCStang said:
I think I heard that 1 tire must be spinning faster than the other before the TC kicks on. I spun mine a bunch of times in a straight line and no TC until the car slipped a little to either side then *BAM TC bog.

Is that correct or my imagineation?

It must take a significant difference or else it would kick in around corners all the time. I do think that's how it works on mustangs at least.

JonJon said:

That sounds like a GREAT idea!! I HATE trac ctrl...even in the snow - actually, especially in the snow - on dry pavement it's rarely invoked other than very slightly. Just as with ABS, not slipping at all isn't always the most effective technique - even if it does make the soccer moms happy.

Anyone have any actual experience with this kit??

jas142 said:
When you auto guys race, how much does turning Traction Control off help? I know you should, but just curious as to how much it actually helps

ALWAYS turn TC off when you are racing, it cuts fuel when the wheels begin to spin. At track youwill not be able to heat up the tires at all with TC on

The Traction Control will kick on when it detects wheel spin at all. If I'm going in a straight line on a road with ice or snow and step on the accelerator enough that the wheels spin, the engine immediately slows down. You don't have to be going sideways like some other people mentioned before it happens. There has been times that if the Traction Control hadn't came on, I might have wiped out and had a wreck. However, if the roads are snowy and you are trying to pick up speed to get into traffic as quickly as you can, the Traction Control kicks in and I can barely get going and that sucks when you forget to turn it off first.

From what I believe this is how the TC works on Mustangs......TC will kick on if the computer detects that one wheel is spinning more than the other. So the computer compensates that by sending less power to the wheel that is spinning more. Please don't quote me on that as I could be wrong.

Personally, I eventually got into the habit of turning off TC after I start my car. Even when it is wet out or snow is on the ground, I usually turn it off. A week ago there was snow on the ground....I had TC off. There was no way in hell that my car would gain traction if TC was on. Example.....when I was trying to get my car going, if TC was on, the car would just bog and not go anywhere. So I turned it off and eased out the clutch to slowly get moving. And I have to have it off for when I change gears and my car will sometimes chirp if I am going fast enough. I don't need it bogging when I'm on the road.

As mentioned, you can buy something you wire into your car that remembers what setting the TC is on.

Sorry for the long post. :nice: