Traction Control off

• Sponsors (?)

Huck said:
That sounds like a GREAT idea!! I HATE trac ctrl...even in the snow - actually, especially in the snow - on dry pavement it's rarely invoked other than very slightly. Just as with ABS, not slipping at all isn't always the most effective technique - even if it does make the soccer moms happy.

Anyone have any actual experience with this kit??

I have this one.

http://randrspecialty.com/autoelectronics/mustang.html

this is another one I have seen

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/tractioncontrol.html

works great. I love it. the traction control on my car is completely worthless device in my opinion.

downsouthman1 said:
TC doesn't engage as soon as slippage occurs because we have limited slip differentials so it's supposed to slip some.

GT's don't have limited slip (maybe the automatics but not the manual transmissions). You know you have limited slip when you spin out the tires and only one tire spins (one black mark). On my car (2002 GT), if I leave a black mark, there is 2 tracks which means to me NO LIMITED SLIP. The next time you are at a stop light, have the Traction Control "ON" and see how long you can burn rubber. It won't be long because the Traction Control will detect the wheel spin and stop it by slowing down your engine. Now try burning rubber with the Traction Control "OFF" :)

It has it's uses....like you can actually pull out in front of people in the rain and the car will actually move!
I'm half tempted to try it in the snow, but now I have a garage for it so it ain't gonna see no snow!
About half the time i turn it off, like the other day a friend was curious as to how fast the car is so I punched it from like 20mph, slammed 2nd and theTrac kicked in....he was thoroughly impressed!

brianmef said:
GT's don't have limited slip (maybe the automatics but not the manual transmissions). You know you have limited slip when you spin out the tires and only one tire spins (one black mark). On my car (2002 GT), if I leave a black mark, there is 2 tracks which means to me NO LIMITED SLIP. The next time you are at a stop light, have the Traction Control "ON" and see how long you can burn rubber. It won't be long because the Traction Control will detect the wheel spin and stop it by slowing down your engine. Now try burning rubber with the Traction Control "OFF" :)

Everything posted is good info, but still doesn't explain why we have a traction control module plumbed into the braking system if all the car does is reduce engine power. I still think the system must still pulse the brake to the spinning wheel - hence the module. :shrug:

Idea: Save $50 and go down to radio shack and buy a toggle switch for $350. Wire it into the TC button. THAT way you can TOGGLE it on an OFF and you can have it hang under the trim pieces so no one can see it but you can still reach it.

GT2000JAY said:
Everything posted is good info, but still doesn't explain why we have a traction control module plumbed into the braking system if all the car does is reduce engine power. I still think the system must still pulse the brake to the spinning wheel - hence the module. :shrug:

From the owners manual...

Wheel-speed sensors allow excess rear wheel spin to be detected by the Traction Control portion of the ABS computer. Any excessive wheel spin is controlled by automatically applying and releasing the rear brakes in conjunction with engine torque reductions. Engine torque reduction is realized via the fully electronic spark and fuel injection systems. This process is very sensitive to driving conditions and very fast acting. The rear wheels "search" for optimum traction several times a second and adjustments are made accordingly.

brianmef said:
From the owners manual...

Wheel-speed sensors allow excess rear wheel spin to be detected by the Traction Control portion of the ABS computer. Any excessive wheel spin is controlled by automatically applying and releasing the rear brakes in conjunction with engine torque reductions. Engine torque reduction is realized via the fully electronic spark and fuel injection systems. This process is very sensitive to driving conditions and very fast acting. The rear wheels "search" for optimum traction several times a second and adjustments are made accordingly.

When in doubt read the directions, eh? :nice:

brianmef said:

????????????????

We have limited slip differentials........

And TC = teh lose. I forgot to turn it off one time at the track. :owned: me on the 1-2 shift by sucking the power out of the engine, and I was rewarded with a 14.757 :notnice: