Traction Lock rebuild question

warmdye

Founding Member
Oct 2, 2000
Out in the Desert
Ok, I am sick of these one wheel burnouts and would like to rebuild my differential. I've had 355 gears installed for some time so I will not need to replace them. I have found many articles detailing the whole gear install procedure but am having a hard time finding any info on just a differential rebuild without the gear swap. I have read that this job can be done very easiliy in under 2 hours.

Please explain the procedure. Do I need to take the gears out? I think I pretty much know how to rebulid the diff once it is out of the car but am unsure how to remove it and reinstall it.

• Sponsors (?)

I was told that the t lok can be rebuilt with the diff still in the car. So from what i gather, you pop the diff cover off then remove the S spring. Then what? Do the 2 small gears and all the shims/chutches in the diff just come out? I need a picture to look at.

i find it easier just to pull the diff and the axles out. set one of the axles on the floor by it's lug nuts (wheel side of axle facing down). now, you can set the diff on the axle. all you have to do is turn the diff and the spider gears should pop right out. when you get the clutch packs and shims in order for installation, you can fit them in there with the spider gears and turn the diff again. they should turn right in.

axeman said:
i find it easier just to pull the diff and the axles out. set one of the axles on the floor by it's lug nuts (wheel side of axle facing down). now, you can set the diff on the axle. all you have to do is turn the diff and the spider gears should pop right out. when you get the clutch packs and shims in order for installation, you can fit them in there with the spider gears and turn the diff again. they should turn right in.

Doesn't the resinstallation of the diff require spacing measurements and special measuring guages? Or do you just slap it in there?