Traffic Court Question (all officers / repeat offenders come on in!)

Black95GTS

Jan 8, 2004
Marlborough, MA
Here in Mass, I went to court a couple weeks ago to fight a ticket. I actually wasn't speeding, got pulled over by a cop driving by me on the other side of a 4 lain divided road outside a commercial district, and was told I was doing 55 in a posted 30.

Went to court, told the judge, he said its definately not a 30 and if I could prove the speed limit was not posted (its not) then he'd throw it out. Well I filmed it and its all set, but my question is: After you appeal the magistrate and actually appear before the judge, doesn't the cop who bagged you have to show up?

When I appeared before the judge, the cop that gave me the ticket wasn't there and sent a rep. I asked the rep questions and all he said was "I wasn't there and I don't care to speculate." I thought I had the right to face my accuser??? It was total :bs:

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

I know when my cop didnt show up, it got thrown out. But i guess if its "legal" to send a rep...then they can. I had a cop not show up and have another cop take his place....that sucked.

But everytime i have fought it, they reduced it and just made me pay with no points. Thats just the better of the two evils.

deadlast said:
a little side jack, but how long did it take you to get a court date from the incident? i mailed my ticket in over a month ago to fight it, and I havent heard anything about since then. im in MA too

I don't know if you made it, but you have to send the ticket appeal by mail within 21 days of the offense or you are SOL.

My incident occurred August 7th. I went to a magistrate in October to appeal the ticket. I did not accept the magistrate's ruling and wanted to take it to court. From the day in mid-october my first court date was december 7th at 9AM. My continuation of trial to prove that the road had no speed limit signs is for tomorrow at 9 AM.

Adam

hmmm, i've heard of a lot of people's cases being thrown 'cause they cop didn't show.

how the hell/what the hell is a representative gonna do? he wasn't there, he doesn't know the full story--that's bs!