TRAILER TOWING PART II

D.Hearne

Sep 29, 2000
south louisiana
Just got back from a 3000 mile trip from Louisiana to Colorado and back towing the aluminum utility trailer I built for the Stang last year. Fuel mileage averaged 23 mpg. Made the same trip last year with no trailer and the car loaded to the gills with camping stuff, ice chest, me, the wife, etc. Couldn't see out the back window. :notnice: Last year's trip averaged 24 mpg. The trailer's loaded weight was 800 lbs. Car weighed in at 4100, for a combined weight of 4900 lbs. Who says these things weren't made for or can't tow? Speeds ranged from 65-80 on the highway with occasianl bursts to 90-100 (passing other vehicles:D ) Car now has 17K miles on it (06 GT Deluxe, manual trans) A drop of 1 mpg ain't bad if'n you ask me. :D Started the trip in an 03 Jeep Wrangler. Got 50 miles down the road and after seeing the gas needle drop (1/2 tank in 100 miles R/T:notnice: ) Turned around and went back for the Stang. 13 mpg difference in 3000 miles would have cost too much at today's prices. :rolleyes: Plus the wind noise from the Jeep's soft top:bang: gave me a headache, then ZERO reserve horsepower from the 4.0 Six-banger:rlaugh: convinced me to turn around to get the Stang.:hail2: The difference in fuel cost added up to a couple day's jeep rental. :eek: Passed another Stanger in New Mexico yesterday, who looked like he was moving. He sure looked happy with his worldly possesions piled to the roof and more strapped to the trunk lid, car sure looked spiffy too with the load.....................NOT!!!!!!!:rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)