Tranny Noise When Gear Is Engaged

400horses

Jan 11, 2018
Hello all,

I am hoping some of your past experiences can send some light on an issue with my 2012 5.0. It is consistent, which is good, but still has me scratching my head.

The clutch is a McLeod twin disk (if Mr. CL didn’t lie). The issue is that when you shift (no noise) and engage the gear, there is. Grinding noise for about the first 10ft as you release the clutch. This noise is present for about the first 3 gears (quietest at third gear) and disappears after that.

I’m not talking about launches, but more f you are proceeding from a stoplight.

My shade tree engine troubleshooting ability far extends my transmission knowledge. Does anyone have any idea what my poor girl is experiencing?

• Sponsors (?)

Did it do it before you replaced the clutch? If so, you've got bagged sychros in the box. If not, your clutch is only partially engaging, for some reason. If you don't know the answers to these qs, I'd bet on the clutch, since it is multiple gears and it's the last thing touched here. Why this might happen is the 11 and early 12 MT82s need a spacer for the throwout bearing. If that was removed then the TOB would not be able to fully engage the clutch. It could also be a setup problem with the twin disc itself. They are finicky compared to a single disc clutch. It could also be pressure plate bolts not tight enough or backing out. Or it could be the TOB hanging up on the input shaft retainer. Lots of ways for this to happen. The reason it's happening in lower gears is the speed differential between the shafts is higher.

So, pull the trans and take a look at the clutch, as you can see, most of the problems possible centre there.