tranny pan pic. unknown tranny

• Sponsors (?)

That looks like an AOD trans to me. 87-93 V8 Mustangs.

I spent all last weekend under my car staring at my AOD

That's NOT a Mustang AOD trans. They say METRIC on the pan and do not have a mechanical shift linkage like that. They use a cable linkage.

Plus looking at the tranny cooler lines, it's a non-factory part.

It's either a C4 or C6

so what do i do to get this thing to act right since its a c6? i drove the car from louisiana to atlanta and from atlanta to texas. with no problems. but the only issues i have is that the needle on the shifter is mixed up. when the needle is on the neutral position its in reverse. and reverse is set on overdrive. how do i fix this? and sometimes the transmission pops out of drive and goes in reverse by itself. same goes as if i park it on a little slope it pops out of park and starts rolling backwards. cable needs adjusting? or if someone wants to trade with a good running aod id be happy to trade to make things more simple since this is basically a street car. track on weekends.

Well, i'd start by looking for numbers on the trans to try to detemine the year.

I'd also see how many detents the C-6 has. The AOD just has 1, D, OD for drive gears, the C6 might have 1,2,D,OD or something like that. If that's the case, you might be able to use an A4LD shifter out of a 4-cly Mustang.

I'm not too up on my C-6's...so i really don't know.

The trans tunnel should have been clearanced if it's a C6.

Also the lack of OD should have been a giveaway that it was not an AOD/E/4R70W.

i noticed it didnt have over drive(thought it was just going bad) so is there a way to add over drive? what are my options with this thing?

Gear Vendors offers an OD option but it is out of the budget of many.

If this is a stockish street car that sees occasional track time but is driven on the freeway, I'd get a decent AOD and call it good. Many of the classic guys go from C series trannies to AOD's just for the OD.

I have to wonder what monster combo a PO had in the car if a C6 was used. They were often behind big blocks and have quite a bit of parasitic power loss over a C4