tranny swap

ok heres I got, a 250 6cyl and a 3speed, so I have all the parts from that, which from what I understand the 250 parts, bellhousing and such work on a 302. And on the back of my 302 now is a C4. So this could eather be a 3speed or C4 swap... I hope I am making sense. What is the easiest and cheapest way to get a manual tranny using my existing parts? 4-5-6 speed eather one would be fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

1WildII said:
ok heres I got, a 250 6cyl and a 3speed, so I have all the parts from that, which from what I understand the 250 parts, bellhousing and such work on a 302. And on the back of my 302 now is a C4. So this could eather be a 3speed or C4 swap... I hope I am making sense. What is the easiest and cheapest way to get a manual tranny using my existing parts? 4-5-6 speed eather one would be fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I presume the 250 is from something other than a II. Even if the bell does have the same bolt pattern as the 302, I very much doubt it will be the right width to set the tranny and shifter in the right location. If it's from an older 'stang, it probably doesn't use a cable clutch linkage either.

Your best bet, both in terms of overall cost and peace of mind, is to purchase either a stock II tranny, bellhousing and flywheel or buy a t5 setup from a fox mustang with a 5.0 and have the flywheel rebalanced. There's a II 4spd tranny with bellhousing on ebay right now and lots of 5.0 stuff as well. The hard part with using the stock II setup will be locating a good flywheel.

Good luck.

Whoops, I posted this in the wrong forum, lol, This setup is actually going into my 1971 Mustang, not my II, Anyways thanks for the help sorry for the mixup. But since were on the topic will that t5 still be the way to go? Would I need to take the bellhousing, clutch and the whole 9 yards? Thanks for the help.

Chris

1WildII said:
Whoops, I posted this in the wrong forum, lol, This setup is actually going into my 1971 Mustang, not my II, Anyways thanks for the help sorry for the mixup. But since were on the topic will that t5 still be the way to go? Would I need to take the bellhousing, clutch and the whole 9 yards? Thanks for the help.

Chris

The t5 setup will probably be the cheapest way to go and the easiest to find all the parts. The drawbacks of using the fox parts is that the shifter will sit about an inch forward and you probably won't be able to fit headers around the wider fox bellhousing.

The best setup to put a t5 in a II, but more expensive and harder to get parts is to use the II bellhousing and flywheel with a 94-95 t5 (correct length input shaft). The only mods to make then are shorten the driveshaft and revise the mount crossmember.